First Diet Grocery List

Options
13»

Replies

• DariensGirl
    Options
    I say cook what you want. If he doesn't want to eat it he is a grown man - he can make his own meals!
    Haha try telling him that. :)
    We are trying to do this together so I am trying to find some healthy alternatives for him otherwise he will make a party pizza, He has an addiction to them and they are always in the house. (Not something I have control of, Someone else buys them)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on a picky husband?
    I love veggies but he hates, This has prevented me from eating healthy for awhile because I did not like makeing two seperate meals so I would just have something bad for me that he loves.
    He hates all veggies except broccoli and cauliflower smothered in cheese (Steamer meals we love)
    I would like to make stir fry sometimes but he would not eat it if it had veggies or anything healthy.

My suggestion is to make a side of vegetables along with whatever you are making for him. When fixes his plate he doesn't have to take the veggies. When you fix your plate take a small portion of whatever made for him and a big portion of vegtables. It means making and extra side dish but at least it is not making a whole othe rmeal.

For the cheese covered broccoli and cauliflower -- try making the cheese sauce seperate and letting him put it on his half only. This means not buying the pre-made stuff where the cheese sauce is already on it but you can still keep it simple by buying plain frozen (or fresh) veggies and a jar of cheese sauce or block of Velveta that you can heat in the microwave. He might even like this better because he can then really douse it with the cheese!

For stir fry normally when I make this I cook the meat first and put it aside and then cook the veggies and then toss it all back together. You could do this too but just don't toss it together -- serve it as two seperate dishes and he can load up on meat and you can have some meat and some veggies.
  • DariensGirl
    Options
    Any suggestions on a picky husband?
    I love veggies but he hates, This has prevented me from eating healthy for awhile because I did not like makeing two seperate meals so I would just have something bad for me that he loves.
    He hates all veggies except broccoli and cauliflower smothered in cheese (Steamer meals we love)
    I would like to make stir fry sometimes but he would not eat it if it had veggies or anything healthy.

My suggestion is to make a side of vegetables along with whatever you are making for him. When fixes his plate he doesn't have to take the veggies. When you fix your plate take a small portion of whatever made for him and a big portion of vegtables. It means making and extra side dish but at least it is not making a whole othe rmeal.

For the cheese covered broccoli and cauliflower -- try making the cheese sauce seperate and letting him put it on his half only. This means not buying the pre-made stuff where the cheese sauce is already on it but you can still keep it simple by buying plain frozen (or fresh) veggies and a jar of cheese sauce or block of Velveta that you can heat in the microwave. He might even like this better because he can then really douse it with the cheese!

For stir fry normally when I make this I cook the meat first and put it aside and then cook the veggies and then toss it all back together. You could do this too but just don't toss it together -- serve it as two seperate dishes and he can load up on meat and you can have some meat and some veggies.
    Thank you! I told him this and he thanks you too.
  • sjv1966
    Options
    Regarding grocery shopping -- I go to a local mom-and-pop Mexican grocery story that has produce really cheap. See if you might have somethng like this in your neighborhood. I find that the big chain grocery stores seem to make produce very expensive and the "bad stuff" really cheap which makes it hard to do what you need to do.

I spend about $50 per week on groceries for myself only. My normal list:

1. Fruit -- mostly I get stuff that doesn't require any prep like apples, oranges, bananas, pears. Sometime I buy fruit that needs cutting up like melons or pineaple. I eat a banana for breakfast every morning and take one other piece of fruit with me to work every day for a snack. This means I need 14 pieces of fruit each week!

2. Veggies for snacking -- every day I bring some sort of raw veggie to work for a snack. Cucumber slices, zuchini slices, baby carrots, celery sticks, whatever. On Sunday when I do my shopping I cut them up and put them in little baggies so they are quick to grab on the way out the door.

3. Veggies for cooking -- this depends on your menu of course, best thing is just to mix it up as much as you can.

4. Lean protein like chicken breast or lean beef or pork. I try to have only half of my meals contain meat. For the other half I do vegetarian meals. If you are trying to save money there is nothing as economical as a bag of dried beans! Even one vegetarian meal a week can be a money-saver and a way to try new things.

5. Whole grains in various forms -- whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice, whole grain crackers, etc.

6. Low fat dairy -- yogurt, part skim mozerella sticks, low fat cottage cheese, skim milk, low fat ice cream.

7. Canned tomato products -- the one thing I get in a can all the time. I do buy jarred spaghetti sauce but it has so much salt I try to only use it when I am really in a hurry. Mostly I try to make my own sauce from cans of crushed tomatoes.

8. Condiments and flavorings -- I keep my pantry stocked with olive oil, vinegars of different flavors, mustard, soy sauce, dried herbs, chicken boulion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, chipotle chillies, hot sauce. Anything that gives flavor without a lot of calories! I also am a big fan of light mayo. And cooking spray -- indespensible for frying with minimal oil.

I am at the point where at least 50% of my cart is fruits and vegtables. I didn't used to be that way! I used to have a cart full of Lipton Rice and Sauce packets and instant mashed potatoes and spaghetti-os and frozen dinners. Now that stuff doesn't even seem like food to me.
  • sjv1966
    Options
    Regarding grocery shopping -- I go to a local mom-and-pop Mexican grocery story that has produce really cheap. See if you might have somethng like this in your neighborhood. I find that the big chain grocery stores seem to make produce very expensive and the "bad stuff" really cheap which makes it hard to do what you need to do.

I spend about $50 per week on groceries for myself only. My normal list:

1. Fruit -- mostly I get stuff that doesn't require any prep like apples, oranges, bananas, pears. Sometime I buy fruit that needs cutting up like melons or pineaple. I eat a banana for breakfast every morning and take one other piece of fruit with me to work every day for a snack. This means I need 14 pieces of fruit each week!

2. Veggies for snacking -- every day I bring some sort of raw veggie to work for a snack. Cucumber slices, zuchini slices, baby carrots, celery sticks, whatever. On Sunday when I do my shopping I cut them up and put them in little baggies so they are quick to grab on the way out the door.

3. Veggies for cooking -- this depends on your menu of course, best thing is just to mix it up as much as you can.

4. Lean protein like chicken breast or lean beef or pork. I try to have only half of my meals contain meat. For the other half I do vegetarian meals. If you are trying to save money there is nothing as economical as a bag of dried beans! Even one vegetarian meal a week can be a money-saver and a way to try new things.

5. Whole grains in various forms -- whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice, whole grain crackers, etc.

6. Low fat dairy -- yogurt, part skim mozerella sticks, low fat cottage cheese, skim milk, low fat ice cream.

7. Canned tomato products -- the one thing I get in a can all the time. I do buy jarred spaghetti sauce but it has so much salt I try to only use it when I am really in a hurry. Mostly I try to make my own sauce from cans of crushed tomatoes.

8. Condiments and flavorings -- I keep my pantry stocked with olive oil, vinegars of different flavors, mustard, soy sauce, dried herbs, chicken boulion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, chipotle chillies, hot sauce. Anything that gives flavor without a lot of calories! I also am a big fan of light mayo. And cooking spray -- indespensible for frying with minimal oil.

I am at the point where at least 50% of my cart is fruits and vegtables. I didn't used to be that way! I used to have a cart full of Lipton Rice and Sauce packets and instant mashed potatoes and spaghetti-os and frozen dinners. Now that stuff doesn't even seem like food to me.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Write down what you like to eat. Then figure out to make it healthier is another strategy to have. When you look at your local grocery sale circular, pay attention to the fruits and veggies on sale. Select the ones you can use in meals for the week or month. I would recommend only buying fruits and veggies you usually eat and then adding 2 or 3 new ones so you don't waste too much. I am single and have no kids so I buy way more frozen fruits and veggies as they last longer.

There is a recipe section on MFP you may want to peruse before you go shopping to find a few new recipes to try. Coupon websites can help too with saving some money.
  • Marty_D
    Marty_D Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Hey, If you can get her to come in and cook it for you, then you'd really have something there!!