The Banks plan

Options

Replies

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My BMR is only 1600 & have the slowest metabolism in the world. That's why I ask about 800-1200 calorie deficit.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My BMR is only 1600 & have the slowest metabolism in the world. That's why I ask about 800-1200 calorie deficit.

Your profile says 24 lbs left to lose - you probably can't afford that big of a defecit. Plus - bmr is what your body needs doing nothing - laying around all day. That doesn't count what you need for daily activities. Maintenance is bmr + what your body needs to maintain it's weight at your current activity level. You've lost a good amount of weight - I think you are doing great! You would be probably at level 3 on Boss' plan, which would put you at 500 or less defecit per day. Assuming your goal is your actual goal and not a mini-goal! :flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Options
    Goodness, no.
    It's a mini-goal.
    It's a hopeful goal.
    It's a once-I-get-here-I'll-re-evaluate-goal.
    :ohwell:
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    stage 4, here I come! last week I upped my net calories to 1500, I am still trying to drop a few lbs but I'm also doing some major strength training and it is WORKING! You should see these guns :wink:

in 2 more lbs I'm on to maintenance!

Awesome post, very helpful for those in ANY stage :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Goodness, no.
    It's a mini-goal.
    It's a hopeful goal.
    It's a once-I-get-here-I'll-re-evaluate-goal.
    :ohwell:

Well, you've lost 17 lbs since Jan - that is awesome!! I would just keep on truckin' in your shoes :drinker: You are doing great. Maybe try to incorporate some of Boss' plan - see how you can make it work for you. So, how much do you want to lose total??
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

800-1200 cal deficit is for people in the obese BMI range or higher. are you considered obese? and no, it doesn't mean you should burn the 1200 you eat, it has nothing to do with excercise. say to maintain, and obese individual needs 3000 cals a day. Banks is saying that person can safely eat 1800-2200 cals a day. that gives them their deficit. when they exercise also, they eat the exercise cals back (hence the explanation of NET calories)
  • Georg
    Options

800-1200 cal deficit is for people in the obese BMI range or higher. are you considered obese? and no, it doesn't mean you should burn the 1200 you eat, it has nothing to do with excercise. say to maintain, and obese individual needs 3000 cals a day. Banks is saying that person can safely eat 1800-2200 cals a day. that gives them their deficit. when they exercise also, they eat the exercise cals back (hence the explanation of NET calories)

Okay. That makes sense. I wasn't sure I was understanding it just right.
    Yes. Obese.
    I'm hoping to drop the first 41 pounds this summer, then reevaluate the next goal. I've gone from absolutely sedentary last fall to exercising daily, so my body is going through some serious changes. I don't expect miracles at my age. :huh:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, sorry it took me so long to get back on guys, but looks like the answers were already given. And yeah, net calories means after everything is said and done. So MT and Kerri were spot on.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

And note, MFP figures a deficit based on the number of pounds you want to lose in a week. So, if you are following the MFP calorie recommendations, the deficit is already built in for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    thBumpphotobucketKikyo1991.gif
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Your right, I haven't been exercising hard. I'm going to step it up and quit babying myself.:drinker:

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/15/7298/157298.png[/img][/url]
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Bump. :heart:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm really dense or something, but net calories consumed...does this mean I should not be eating my exercise calories? Deficits, nets, eh, um, I'm all confused.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Okay, I'm really dense or something, but net calories consumed...does this mean I should not be eating my exercise calories? Deficits, nets, eh, um, I'm all confused.

net calories is your calories eaten - your exercise calories. You need to eat some/most or all of your exercise calories. MFP's plan has you at a calorie deficit - built in the plan when you signed up based on what you said you wanted to lose per week. 1 lb per week = 500 calorie deficit. So, with no exercise if you eat the alloted calories MFP gives you if you signed up for that you should lose about 1 lb per week. When you exercise, you need to eat some or most of those calories back because your body needs a certain level just to operate and you need to give your body good fuel to work out on. If your calories get too low, you body can think that it is in a famine and start to hold on to excess weight instead of shedding it. So, the idea is to EAT - adequate amounts of good food and get adequate exercise to lose weight, tone and strengthen. :flowerforyou:

Hope that helped a little - if you're confused ask! Someone will try to help - of course, you might get differing answers from different people, but this particular post has this line of logic. :heart:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks MTGirl...I've been stuck on a plateau since Christmas and am really trying a number of things to shake the weight loose again...upping my cardio and the intensity of it, and now trying to eat all my exercise calories too.

Just get confused sometimes by the "lingo" I think.
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great post Thanks for all the info:happy:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Thanks MTGirl...I've been stuck on a plateau since Christmas and am really trying a number of things to shake the weight loose again...upping my cardio and the intensity of it, and now trying to eat all my exercise calories too.

Just get confused sometimes by the "lingo" I think.

LOL - I hear you. If you think too hard about it, it kind of all gets blurred together. :laugh: Given enough time and thought though, it does get clearer!