Help Cooking Asparagus

Options
crystal8208
crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
Help!! I need a yummy way to cook asparagus. I got some when I took a trip to Canada and I LOVED it. But I can't duplicate it at home. I only seem to like the taste of the tops at home and only with a ton o' butter. Any suggestions?

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I coat in olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Then bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.
  • elisa128
    Options
    I coat in olive oil, salt and lemon pepper. Then bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.

I find that is is the best way to cook it as well.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Blanching is an excellent way to prepare asparagus.

First, you'll need to prepare the spears. Either cut off the tough ends or use a vegetable peeler to remove the hardened part of the ends, usually 1 layer deep.

Get a large bowl of ice water ready (Large mixing bowl).

Boil some water first with salt & pop in your prepared asparagus. Boil them for about 2-3 minutes, then remove from the boiling water and immediately put into the ice water. Let them sit in the ice water for about 10-15 minutes. They will be more green & super flavorful.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

That sounds interesting; I wouldn't have thought about baking it.

I've always just steamed it, and added some butter and salt.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about blanching. Thanks for the details; think I'll try that one. After they've been sitting in the ice water for 10-15 minutes do you just pop them in the microwave to warm them a bit to eat? Don't think I would like cold asaparagus with me meals. :-/
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about blanching. Thanks for the details; think I'll try that one. After they've been sitting in the ice water for 10-15 minutes do you just pop them in the microwave to warm them a bit to eat? Don't think I would like cold asaparagus with me meals. :-/

It's eaten cold if you're blanching, but it's quite good.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I buy the thinnest ones possible, cut off the bottom ends and then marinate for about 30 minutes in garlic, olive oil and a little parmesan c heese. Then I either grill or do a quick saute so they cooked but not mushy. Love them!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I do it on the barbeque! I place on tin foil, a few dollops of fat free sour cream, 1tsp of olivina non hydrogenated margarine, season with lemon pepper spice, wrap it up and cook on med. heat for desired tenderness. Of course you may have to add ingredients depending on how much asparagus you have. I do this for myself and use about 8 spears with the above ingredients. I have done this many times and everyone loves it. Yummy! Sounds bizarre, but is really tasty!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do it on the barbeque! I place on tin foil, a few dollops of fat free sour cream, 1tsp of olivina non hydrogenated margarine, season with lemon pepper spice, wrap it up and cook on med. heat for desired tenderness. Of course you may have to add ingredients depending on how much asparagus you have. I do this for myself and use about 8 spears with the above ingredients. I have done this many times and everyone loves it. Yummy! Sounds bizarre, but is really tasty!

Wonder if you can do this on a foreman type grill????
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options

This, but I use garlic salt and black pepper. I make sure the stalks are cut in half/quarter lengthwise cause I like mine crispy.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like mine grilled also. I don't have any particular seasonings i like, just a bit of olive oil and whatever I grab in a foil packet
  • sgmorgan312
    Options

Ditto - use kosher salt, even more flavorful! Just had it this weekend - yum!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i coat in a little EVOO and a little garlic powder and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. So yummy!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

remove the salt. :D

Personally I just steam them. A little pepper on top.

I don't do butter w/ veggies, there's no point in that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Grilled & basted with oil & soy sauce .... yummy!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like mine steamed. I break off the ends where they naturally break and stick them in the steamer for a about 5-6 minutes (I like mine al-dente) or until they are bright green and then add a little salt and pepper to taste!
  • mack1238
    Options
    Cut of the bottom 1/3 of the stalks. brush with olive oil then sprnikle on kosher salt. Wrap in foil then put it on the grill for about 30 minutes.
  • LillysGranny
    Options

You will never find better asparagus than this....you can do it on the grill if the weather's nice and you're grilling anyway.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Steamed with Tony's Creole Seasoning.
  • tiktacsr
    Options
    bump