Anyone use CLA supplement?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use CLA! I love it. 2 capsules, 3 times a day. I've noticed my face looks very slightly thinner, and overall fat loss has improved over jsut three months. You must take it religiously and be consistent with your food and exercise. It isn't a magic pill - it works when you exercise and eat right. Let me know what you think of it! Good luck!!

It works when you exercise and eat right? Really! How amazing! :) How about exercising, eating right, then spending your money on something like new clothes or video games or something that isn't ripping you off instead?
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

If you notice, all the people who have told you they got good results from it stated they watched cals and/or weight lifted/worked out with it. There is absolutely no evidence of it actually making a difference, though. That said, I took it for over a year "religiously" and when I watched my cals, I did well and when I didn't, I didn't. I've gone back and forth on it since up until I decided to stop wasting my money and just get back to seriously lifting heavy.
    If you want to build lean muscle mass, lift weights - period. If you want to lose fat - keep your cals where they should be.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I take it too! I take three 1300 mg pills a day (one with each meal) and have seen my stomach flatten out some and more muscle definition since i started. Of course, I also watch my diet and exercise so it definitely could be that but I was doing that before too and either my body finally started to take notice or the CLA is helping. Whichever it is the pills are cheap and I'm not about to go off them just yet... :)
  • magicll
    magicll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using CLA for about a month. I take 1 1000 mg pill with meals. It has definetly curbed my appetite and virfually eliminated between Meal cravings. I had reached a platau for weight loss and it is definetly making a. Difference. My wife said the also noted my stomach seems flatter. My feeling is that it is working.
  • crazyintensity
    Options
    I haven't used the GNC brand, but have used the Hydroxycut formula (Note, Hydroxycut doesn't do anything, but I've had good results with the one that includes CLA). I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks without initially changing diet. It helped curb my appetite and I felt more energetic. My hair and nails also looked nicer and most of the weight loss was in the stomach and hip region. I was taking 1000mg per day (2 Hydroxycut pills), once in the morning and once in the evening. It used to be at Walmart for $12 for 50 pills (almost a month's worth for me) but now I can only find it online for $20. I will try the GNC brand soon and see how that goes.
  • jennylg29
    jennylg29 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started taking it today and man am I nauseas!! It caused more bloat because I got so sick from it. I'm going to continue to take it but drink anti nausea liquid with it. I took it with a meal and still got incredibly sick!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it today and man am I nauseas!! It caused more bloat because I got so sick from it. I'm going to continue to take it but drink anti nausea liquid with it. I took it with a meal and still got incredibly sick!

Why on earth would you keep taking it? Studies show it doesn't do jack anyway, except maybe make you eat less because you're puking and that.... that's not a healthy way to lose weight.
  • luvtoexplore
    luvtoexplore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    took for a month did a whole lot of nothing.... hard work at gym and the right macros is what works for me. Maybe others are different..
  • Shreyuu
    Shreyuu Posts: 2
    Options
    i have started taking it as a part of the GNC VITAPAK RIPPED 30days program.
    today is my first day and all i can say is its too early for me to comment on it.

the Caffiene (fat burner) pill is keep me wide awake :)
  • betzygz
    betzygz Posts: 1
    Options
    Using CLA for a week, walking in the am and gym in the pm. No diet and lost 2 pounds in one week
  • di36
    di36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whatever the doubters say, this is supposed to work if you have thyroid problems. I eat well and exercise nearly everyday, despite this for the last 8 months I havent lost any weight or inches... I have gotten to the stage when im thinking whats the bloody point.

However ive recently read about CLA and help weight loss when thyroid issues and it seems positive so I am giving it a go.

Exercise for the last 12 months: kettlebells once a week, HIIT class once a week, run about 3 times a week and do a Freeletics (Hiit) programme 1/2 times a week...

Food is lots of fresh fruit, probiotic yoghurts, lean meat, eggs, salads, nothing processed or pre made, lots of smoothies.

recently diagnosed as going through early Menopause and problems with my thyroid which is being monitored. Its easy for people to say just exercise and eat better, rather than take supplements, but when you are currently doing this and your body is actually working against you then taking a pill to kick start benefits can only be a good thing..

When I have exercised previously (im 44 now), weight easily dropped of me.. So anyone young and/or in good health, should too. However not everyone is in such a good position as you, so stop the criticism of people trying things which may help.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread....
  • success1550
    Options
    I have been using CLA on and off for the past few years. I gave some to my brother and not only did he lose weight his exzema also cleared up. I thought is was a fluke at first but then a friend of mine started complaining about exzema I told her about what happened with my brother. She said she wanted to try it too and it worked on her as well. I'm not good at taking pills so I never too them religiously. For the past 3 months I started taking them along with my walmart brand one a day multi vitamins for women and last but not least a vitamin called MSM. I by no means take the vitamins everyday as I'm still not good with pills but I take them at least 3-4 times a week. I don't exercise and I'm not on any diet and I have lost several inches. People have even asked me if I've been working out because I looked more defined. I don't know if is the CLA or the MSM or the combination bit its working great and I feel like a million bucks...
  • Jazz143
    Options
    Ive used CLA and I think its great! I lost about 30 lbs in a little over 30 days. Keep in mind I was also counting calories and working out at least 3 times a week. But mainly I was just doing cardio.
  • sammmmykins
    sammmmykins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you guys are crazy, conjugated linoleic acid isn't some wonder pill. this sounds like fish oil all over again and most of your posted 'results' don't sound like they have anything to do with it.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-011-0253-9
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love how all the "OMG, this really works!" posts are from first time posters who just happen to pop up and bump this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Peer reviewed clinical studies show that use of it is minute in weight loss. Obese benefited from it more. But like all approaches, CALORIE DEFICIT is needed to lose weight. And you don't need a pill for that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You wasted your money!

Unless you happen to be a rat.
    Despite the age of this thread, I find myself posting this anyway. I'm yet to see a study showing anything outside of the margin of error regarding CLA. Except in lab rats in absurd doses that you would never consume. If you want to look better, eat right and lift weights. Now, if wasting money is your thing, I've got some green tea extract and some raspberry keytones I would like to recommend to you, as well :)
  • glambb_x
    Options
    I tried it before. Went through a whole bottle and no weight loss. Right now I am trying garcinia cambogia.