Any artists on MFP?

Options

Replies

• jnbud2002
    Options
    I <3 all things artsy and crafty! I likes to paint, draw, scrapbook, make bows, decorate shirts, right now I'm making some bows, headbands, and tutus.... that still requires art! lol I just got an awesome camera and plan on taking awesome pics with them too!

Everyone's work is amazing! I'm at work right now, but I painted a couple "family" pics. They were for art class back in 2009 when it was just my hubs, daughter and I. I'll have to post them when I get home! One of my bff's painted last weekend and made me want to get out my paint! But as for now, I'm just making accessories for friends and my daughters!

Keep the art alive! I saw a pic of a wee mural, "Earth without Art is just Eh" ohsotrue!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Keep the art alive! I saw a pic of a wee mural, "Earth without Art is just Eh" ohsotrue!

That is so perfect! Never heard that before. Love! :heart:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I paint dog portraits in oils.
    dillonface.jpg
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    are you asking for "artists" or "painters"? I am a photographer and consider myself an artist at taking great portraits and landscape shots. I also write poetry and consider myslf an artist at that.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    wannabe potter here :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    So many pretty things!

As for myself, I draw and sculpt. Don't have any drawings up, but here are some of the pendants and pins that I've done. (Forgive the website. It's horribly out of date- I need to spend some quality time with it and my Etsy).

http://www.ghamerstudios.com/Gallery.html
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Formally trained artist. I worked as a commercial artist for approx. 20 years in several different areas. Now, I just do art for fun.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, so much awesome stuff!

I dabble a little, not as much as I used to. I prefer coloring stuff on the computer over hand drawing these days, though I have a few sketchbooks floating around. I don't post stuff very often (not a lot of time right now for it).

http://lucinick.deviantart.com/
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I take photographs (done a couple of weddings) and draw (but not as much as I'd like or should), used to paint but kinda fallen out of the habit!
    My Wordpress site: emmatakesaphotograph.wordpress.com
  • skydiamonds67
    skydiamonds67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist as well! :) I went to school for Fine Arts, but painting is my specialty. Right now I'm working at a bank - just trying to figure out what to do with my degree or what to pursue for a master's that will actually ensure me a job at the end. I wish there was more work in the art field!

I have a website: http://www.erikatugas.com.

And here are some pics! :)

everydayfruitfix-1.jpg

princessfroufrou2-1.jpg

nothingbutflowers-1-1-1.jpg
  • skydiamonds67
    Options
    @hausofnichele

I love these! The colors are awesome and I probably wouldn't have thought it was duct tape unless you told me! Very cool!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist as well! :) I went to school for Fine Arts, but painting is my specialty. Right now I'm working at a bank - just trying to figure out what to do with my degree or what to pursue for a master's that will actually ensure me a job at the end. I wish there was more work in the art field!

I have a website: http://www.erikatugas.com.

And here are some pics! :)

everydayfruitfix-1.jpg

princessfroufrou2-1.jpg

nothingbutflowers-1-1-1.jpg

Gorgeous!!! Love your work!!
  • JeepersMister
    JeepersMister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to draw pencil portraits in highschool, but I've been lazy since college started.
    i5xcau.png
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Old self-portrait from college, in a Halloween costume:

costume1.jpg

Greyhound, from about 5 years ago:

pear.jpg

My "sister in law" Heidi, about 5 years ago:

heidi.jpg

My niece, her husband and their "kid" in their wedding present from last year:

IMG_0336.jpg
    (I don't think it was 100% finished here, but it's the only one I have uploaded.)

zingas-1.jpg
  • ElzbthStths
    ElzbthStths Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a BFA from Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia. It's an all womens's 4 yr art college. I was there way back when Gloria Vanderbilt was on the school board.
    In a very Northern East Coast state, I taught art in schools, freelanced my work, designed and etched portraits on monuments in a business I owned for 26 yrs, I also built a studio and taught private students for many years, was published in 2 minor books and several periodicals. I then began showing my work in galleries and juried shows up and down the east coast, I eventually moved to the DC Metro area to indulge in the vast cultural opportunities. I was employed by Art Galleries as a Consultant and Director.
    Then the economy fell and one gallery after another closed it's doors. Some having been in business for over 25/30 yrs.
    I went into the Insurance business ( My son said, Gee Mom, I didn't see that coming!)
    I needed to sustain my income (myself!) in order to go back to my art. I studied and aced all the licenses needed for insurance , and then I finished a 5 yr program in one year and now have my own agency. I'm licensed in 7 states. All at age 50!

My drive? The same as when I was an artist. I want to try to make people happy.

I sat as an artist, I sit even more as an insurance agent.the reason being is the computer. EVERYTHING is done on the computer today when it comes to insurance.
    At least as an artist I had to step away from my work to get a fresh perspective. That doesnt happen in insurance.

I had to "schedule" exercise as an artist. Stop at a good place, and just GO!
    I have to do the same thing with being in insurance, and its actually harder because people NEED me at all hours.

No different than being a mom, really.

I had someone tell me once, "You don't have time for exercise? You can't get away? You would if it was a Doctors appointment and this is just as important."

One more thing, I may be business oriented and can also draw, but I CANNOT do art and business at the same time. One ruins the other. So for now, I've hung up my art supplies until I am more financially secure.

Good Luck to ALL artists in this weak economy.
  • skydiamonds67
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a chance to pursue your art in a while. I know exactly how you feel. I went to school for art in Rochester and it was so amazing being in such an artistic environment and also having the chance to just make art. I originally started as an Art Education major, but found out I hated teaching when we did student teaching. I ended up graduating with a Fine Art degree with an Art History minor, basically a worthless degree, at least in the job market. I'm back home in my little small town (not an artistic community at all), working in banking. I totally agree that being in a business environment is not great for creativity/artistic inspiration. I really haven't painted since I was in school 2 years ago, although I do some crafts (for my Etsy shop) and refinish furniture. So I guess I still am doing some artistic activities, but wish I could get back in the swing of painting. :(

Right now I have no idea what to do for a career. Banking doesn't pay and I really don't like it enough to do for the rest of my life. I've looked into other art careers (art conservation or museum work), but the pay for those is just as bad and the jobs are few and far between. I've been saving for grad school all this time now, but I am totally at a loss for what to do. I basically am starting from scratch now... :/

Do any of the artists here have the ability to use your art in your career?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I used to draw pencil portraits in highschool, but I've been lazy since college started.
    i5xcau.png

Wow! I never realized how many wrinkles that man had until I saw your portrait! Excellent work!!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i can draft by hand and studied interior design, so i can paint and sketch any home related object.... including exteriors.
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    i5xcau.png

OMG! That is amazing!!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    DSCN0042.jpg
    desk I made 100% hand made, its art I think

ed.jpg
    its a Eddie head I made out of plywood for Halloween

snoop.jpg
    snoopy, I made this for my oldest dorm room

fatty.jpg