Food scale? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• bjfrezell
    Options
    I have one and use it at a minimum once a day, generally more often. I simply cannot guestimate meat sizes, yogurt portions, or berries. Definitely use the "tare" or 0 button so you can put your bowl or plate on the scale
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale. I use to measure and weigh everything. Now I only use it on meat, cheese and really high caloried items where, if I guess wrong, could ruin my caloric goal. After weighing and measuring so much you start to get the hang of it.
  • litljoy2001
    Options
    I def use one I got it from walmart pretty cheap and I wouldnt want to live without it at this point, you would be amazed the difference in portion control using them
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just ordered me one!!!! :smile:
  • lozzae85
    Options
    I weigh everything apart from fruit and veg I just guess those unless I'm having potatoe.....Not sure why! I think I am going to start to weight my fruit and veg now too and see if it makes a difference!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm a pro cook, so I"m a pretty good estimator. That said...a kitchen scale is a really good tool to have and use. You'd be amazed how far off guesses can be sometimes!
  • bbysars
    bbysars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use my scale everyone I cook. If you're looking to lose weight never guesstimate, you would be surprised at how much you actually use when you weigh things.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A must have, just ordered a new one from avon....
  • FoxyPhoenixRising
    FoxyPhoenixRising Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everone here, I DEFINITELY recommend using a scale. I saw MEGA differences between my estimated cals and actual cals when I got mine! I use it all the time!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I love my digital scale! Couldn't function without it!

Even packaged food "lies" on the nutrition facts. Go by weight, not by "x pieces"... they aren't right.
  • ydeleon
    Options
    Definite yes!! Started using it 2 years ago, haven't stopped.
  • Pinnagerjaggin
    Options
    I'm definitely using the one we have at home when I'm done school in may. It takes the guess work out of weight loss and you can better pin point problem areas.
  • 5starshelly
    5starshelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes. Food Scale. AND Measuring cup. I want to eat 4-5oz portions of meat and if the serving of something like cereal is one cup, I want to eat one cup. And half a cup of milk.
  • 0nedayatatime
    0nedayatatime Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    there are many reasons I am overweight, but one that really stands out in my mind is that I HAD (or have still sometimes) NO concept of what one serving is...

when I first started I used to estimate, then when I got a food scale I measured what I thought was 1 serving of cereal.... it was more than 1 and a half...

I would have to say its a MUST (but not EVERYONE needs one) for me! And its a good idea for anyone who wants to try to be more exact in their caloric counting etc... Cheers!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i do, because i can't eyeball portions at all. i still laugh at myself seeing how off i was.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    :smile: Please help. I want to know how many food loggers use a scale for accurate measuring~do you, or do you guesstimate portions?

I couldn't think of a single reason NOT to use a food scale. In addition to helping gauge portion sizes, they are fantastic for cooking - especially if you like to bake. Weighed ingredients are typically more accurate than measuring cups/spoons.

I love my food scale!
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Food scale, all the time. Even when measuring with cups, because sometimes there's settling and you get an inaccurate measurement.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i weigh everything that's not already weighed for me i.e. single servings
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yes. I use it multiple times, daily.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    SCALE! there was a youtube video I watched when I was nearly half ways in my journey and it opened my eyes! guesstiamating could put you over 300+ cals!
    can't find the video right now, but most def get a scale!