Protein shakes/meal replacements

I'm pretty busy during the week, and I don't have much time between school and work to eat something that's really going to last for the ~4-5 hours between meals (dinner on those days is usually cereal- I've only got about 15 minutes to eat before I'm off to class again). I can't eat snacks or anything like that at work, so I've been considering having a protein shake or meal replacement instead to keep me full longer than a normal meal would. I have tried Special K protein shakes before, and they're alright, but the taste isn't great. Any suggestions of things that taste really great, but also provide adequate nutrition? I've tried whey protein powder before and I thought it tasted awful.

Replies

• alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Joconnor09 -

I drink Visalus Meal Replacement shakes. It's the shake mix tastes like cake. You can mix it with a lot of different things - there is a document with over 100 recipes. The most common is milk but I also use cranberry juice, orange juice, etc. Some people mix it with water but I find the other things to be more filling. It keeps me full and is less than $2 a meal. It has a lot of nutritional value. My bootcamp instructor recommends it as well. If you would like to try it then send me a friend message and ask for a sample. Also I will send you a link to an overview that gives you more information on the product.

My shake:
    Body By Vi Shake Mix - 90 calories
    Unsweetened Almond milk - 8 oz. - 40 calories
    Light cranberry juice - 4 oz. - 25 calories
    Unsweet Frozen Fruit - 1/2 cup - 35 calories
    Total Calories - 190
  • I don't use them, but that is because I am not a fan of processed food. I make just about everything from scratch. I don't like all the junk they put in that stuff. I would just make sure that it isn't empty calories and that the sodium isn't outrageous like it tends to be in a lot of packaged stuff. Also make sure that you are getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
  • Borgg
    Borgg Posts: 7
    Try Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Milk Chocolate protein powder (1 scoop) mixed with 12 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Trader Joe's is my favorite brand). It's a delicious shake.
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    I use Vectron protein powder, BSN lean dessert protein powder, and will occasionally buy Syntha-6 or Monster Milk from my gym after a workout. I love my protein shakes.