Can I gain some muscle while still losing pounds?

I've read a lot on here that a person cannot gain muscle while on a deficit, but isn't that what we all WANT to do? I mean, I want to start strength training and working on getting stronger and such, but I do still want to lose a few lbs. Is this where bulk/cut cycles come in? Because that sounds a little intense for the results I'm looking for... and I wouldn't know where to start. And the word "bulk" is kind of scary.

Ultimately I'm looking for a stronger/leaner body, as in more muscle, lower body fat %, about 10lbs lighter. How do I do that?

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Anyone?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Anyone?

Is it physiologically possible? Yes.

Is it likely to happen? Not really, but:

If you're new to lifting, if you're returning to lifting after a long layoff, if you're obese, then you're more likely to gain some lean mass while eating in a deficit and dropping weight.

If you don't fit into these categories, it will be even less likely.

In both cases, this assumes proper training and adequate protein intake, and a reasonable deficit.

EDIT: Lastly, the amount of muscle you'd gain isn't likely to be significant.

Now, it IS likely for you to minimize lean losses and gain strength through rate coding while eating at a deficit.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    I would suggest that you don't worry about the actual lbs, but rather the composition.

If in a year's time you have a lower body fat percentage, can see muscles (maybe even abs) but you weight the same...would you be ok with that?

If you have a lot of fat % to lose, you will, in the long run end up weighing less as you build more muslce.
  • jordanlell
    Anyone?

Is it physiologically possible? Yes.

Is it likely to happen? Not really, but:

If you're new to lifting, if you're returning to lifting after a long layoff, if you're obese, then you're more likely to gain some lean mass while eating in a deficit and dropping weight.

If you don't fit into these categories, it will be even less likely.

In both cases, this assumes proper training and adequate protein intake, and a reasonable deficit.

EDIT: Lastly, the amount of muscle you'd gain isn't likely to be significant.

Now, it IS likely for you to minimize lean losses and gain strength through rate coding while eating at a deficit.

Okay, first, except for a tiny, itty-bitty bit of lifting in my freshman year of high school (6 years ago), I am totally new to lifting. Second, so where do I start? I don't even know what to do. Third, what the heck is rate coding?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    "Bulking" is SCARY. I decided to start bulking 10lbs from my ultimate goal, mainly because I just didn't want to diet anymore. It was a great "diet" break. You can wait until you lose the last 10lbs (but you should lift while losing to preserve the muscle you have), or you could start now, and lose more fat later, it's up to you.

And because I'm an attention *kitten*, my bulking results:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494961-post-bulking-progress-pictures-female
  • jordanlell
    I would suggest that you don't worry about the actual lbs, but rather the composition.

If in a year's time you have a lower body fat percentage, can see muscles (maybe even abs) but you weight the same...would you be ok with that?

If you have a lot of fat % to lose, you will, in the long run end up weighing less as you build more muslce.

So should I stop eating a deficit then?
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member

So should I stop eating a deficit then?

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you want to lose fat, you should have a caloric deficit. I believe what the poster you quoted was saying was that you should be less concerned with how many lbs you've lost and more concerned with what your body fat % is.

For example, I'm around 200lbs right now with a 25% body fat. I'd like to go down to about 15% body fat or so. If I still weighed 200 lbs but had 15% body fat, I'd be pleased as punch. Obviously that means I'd have to gain some lbs of muscle and lose lbs of fat.

I don't expect that process to happen at the same time. At the moment, I plan on going down to about 175lbs, while monitoring my body fat % and adjusting my work outs and diet from there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'd eat at a small deficit, with at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, and strength train to keep as much of your existing muscle mass as possible at first.

Then take progress photos and don't stress about what's going on with the number on the scale.
  • What I would recommend doing is instead of using the scale, keep track of measurements. Since muscle is heavier then fat you can be losing fat and gaining muscle and the number on the scale will stay the same or get bigger. Your body fat % will still go down even if the number on the scale is staying the same or even going up.
  • Don't worry too muchh about bulking, girls do not bulk up as much has guys do. I would focus on the cardio for weight loss and do some strength training for the lean muscle. That's what I started doing about 2 weeks ago. I haven't lost any weight or inches yet but I can see a difference in the way my body is carrying the weight. Good Luck.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    what sidesteal said is probably the most accurate information you'll find.

and when i started strength training, i started here: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/

check out the beginner body weight routine, and start doing that in your home.

and check out the "working out properly" articles to help you design your own work out.
  • I'm a NASM personal trainer and I'd recommend you start out eating with a .5lb weight loss goal set. Then, just monitor your weight, how you feel and strength in order to make adjustments.
  • smpaselk
    smpaselk Posts: 31 Member
    Can you do body weight exercises to gain muscle?
  • Can you do body weight exercises to gain muscle?

Most certainly! Read about Herschel Walker.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    bump
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Can you do body weight exercises to gain muscle?

see my picture? that was taken back in november, before joining a gym. all i was doing was body weight exercises like push ups, squats, pull ups, and lunges.