Tell me it's possible...then tell me how you would do it!

Options
Ok....I started this Challange in Jan! It was to do 430 miles by May 7th I did good but I slacked off for two months and now I only have two weeks left (I'm leaving to go out of town on the 1st) :noway: My husband has told me to basically give up only didn't use those words.

I have 230 miles left to go. The most I've done in a day is 17 but normally I average around 10 miles. I'm "in shape" for most activities...but my endurance only lasts about an hour (giving me about 12-14 miles depending on the day).

I need to average 17-18 miles a day EVERYDAY!

Now...how would you do it? Would you just try to hit 18 miles every day and hope you can keep it up...I have the next two weeks completely off! I just have to study for an exam but nothing that major. Better yet, someone just tell me to keep going!

ETA its biking...so its not as bad lol

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok....I started this Challange in Jan! It was to do 430 miles by May 7th I did good but I slacked off for two months and now I only have two weeks left (I'm leaving to go out of town on the 1st) :noway: My husband has told me to basically give up only didn't use those words.

I have 230 miles left to go. The most I've done in a day is 17 but normally I average around 10 miles. I'm "in shape" for most activities...but my endurance only lasts about an hour (giving me about 12-14 miles depending on the day).

I need to average 17-18 miles a day EVERYDAY!

Now...how would you do it? Would you just try to hit 18 miles every day and hope you can keep it up...I have the next two weeks completely off! I just have to study for an exam but nothing that major. Better yet, someone just tell me to keep going!

ETA its biking...so its not as bad lol
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    RUN girl RUN!!!!!!

can you do 2 runs a day.... maybe split them up into 2 9mile runs??? so its not 18 miles in one shot???

you can do this thoug :) keep with it dont quit :)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'd do as much as you can to start. If you can do 20, then do it, so you're ahead of the game. That way if you have a bad day, you don't start falling behind and have to make up the extra at the end.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Careful you don't injure yourself!!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Your neighbors must think you're crazy! :huh: :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    It probably wouldn't be very good for you to do that many miles a day especially if its running. At one point in my life I was running at least 10 miles every day without breaks and I got really run down and really sick, I couldn't get better and I kept getting worse. I was also playing 3 hours of vb almost everyday too, so not smart on my part thats for sure. Anyways I'm just saying be careful, you don't want to go backwards, be sure to replenish your body with lots of food! Good luck, sorry if I gave you bad news.

:happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't give up, but instead extend your deadline until June 7? Whatever you do though, don't just not run! Run, run, run! :laugh:
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm not a biker, but I would think you should be able to do 18-20 miles a day if you time... Good luck and don't give up if it's something you really want to do.:drinker: Just don't hurt yourself!!! :smile:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do what you can do, but don't quit.....................you have to keep it up and even if you don't make te 400+ miles at least you know you tried instead of just giving up........................No quitters allowed, unless it's cigarettes or donuts....................................................:noway:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If your off for 2 weeks, I would do 2 rides a day during that time if you can. If you can get 10 - 12 miles on each ride that would be 20 - 24 miles a day. Is it doable?? Only you can answer that. Just be careful and don't injure your self! What do you have to lose?? So maybe you don't make the goal, but at least you know you gave it a good ol' try! :drinker:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Do you have to run? Biking goes faster.
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Don't give up! You can do it, and you will be so proud of yourself when you reach your goal. Especially when some might tell you to quit. It's kind of a inner happiness that you can do a little happy dance for. :smile: Hang in there..it will be so worth it when you cross that 'finish line'. Go, go go!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If I can do 16 miles you can do 18 :wink: Biking doesn't have the retraining time that running does so you could do this if you stick to it for the next two weeks.

As you know pace yourself, stay hydrated and stretch when done! If you need to break it up into two workouts of 9 or 10 miles each, taking a break inbetween will actually increase your energy! Go for it!

You can sooooo do this :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would take the opportunity of starting anew to set some new revised goals. I am always wary of people trying to ramp up exercise volume for an artificial reason. It just increases the risk of injury. Runners are worse than cyclists, but I have seen it happen too many times.

To me it is more important to set a goal and use that as a motivation to make positive changes. Actually achieving the goal can sometimes be of secondary importance.

As a younger runner, I would often enter races several months in advance as a motivation to sharpen my focus in training, be more consistent, challenge myself, etc. Half the time I ended up never actually running the race, but setting the original goal always had a positive effect.
  • christineluksis
    Options
    Go to a spin class! My instructor said that our hour-long class is at least a 15 mile ride!