Stationary Bike-Tips/Pointers?

Options
I have heard when it comes to cardio, whether biking, running, etc, you get the biggest benefits if you do quick bursts. I have a stationary bike that has various resistance settings, and I am basically just wanting some pointers. Is it better to go fast the whole duration of the work out? Do quick bursts? Should I use a higher resistance? Any tips or pointers would be great! Thank you.

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of workout you want to do that day,
    a few of my favorite stationary bike ones are

intervals - hard for 30sec, normal for 45sec-60sec (resistance at a moderate setting)
    hills - pedal normal for a certain time i do 2min then cimb for 45sec ish (increase resistance)

you can do endless combinations of speed and resistance, what you describe as quick burts is calle HIT and is what i described in the first workout above, you can play with the times for both the rest and the sprint to suit your level

have fun!!
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Im mostly looking for what will give the best calorie burn. My bike does have these 30 min programs that include hill climbs and such where the bike adjust the resistance for you and you just have to petal with in a certain speed. Is the hit training best for a better calorie burn?
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    It depends on what type of workout you want to do that day,
    a few of my favorite stationary bike ones are

intervals - hard for 30sec, normal for 45sec-60sec (resistance at a moderate setting)
    hills - pedal normal for a certain time i do 2min then cimb for 45sec ish (increase resistance)

you can do endless combinations of speed and resistance, what you describe as quick burts is calle HIT and is what i described in the first workout above, you can play with the times for both the rest and the sprint to suit your level

have fun!!

I teach a high intensity, interval style cycling class that combines those two types of workouts. Together, they provide and excellent calorie burn, muscle conditioning and a tremendously effective cardio workout. I recommend talking to a cycling instructor in a gym, even if you don't have a member ship (sneak in on promo pass) to make sure you setting your bike up correctly for a safe and comfortable ride. Have fun!
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar bike where it has the programs you can choose from that go up and down in resistance and you do so with in the certain speed. Sometimes I get impatient with them because I don't feel the need to go for as long on setting 1 and 2. So I tend to make up my own. I ride on 2 for a minute, then 3 for about 5 minutes getting a good warm up in. Then I bump it up to 4 for 5, 5 for 5, 4 for 10 or so and cool down with 3 and 2. I usually ride anywhere from 30 - 40 minutes keeping my speed between 12-14mph. I did this same scenereo the other day and in 30 minutes I burned over 350 calories. I do not go by the calorie burn from the bike. I use my hrm.
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you everyone. And Eacatterton I also go by what my HRM says. The bike itself shows a much higher burn everytime.