BACON! cooked vs. uncooked calories

Options
I don't eat bacon that often, so I'm not sure how to put it into my MFP diary. The brand I buy is 230 calories and 22 grams of fat for 2 uncooked pieces, and when I cook it I drain it in paper towels and pat completely dry, so how do you figure out the calorie/fat/sodium difference once the bacon's cooked?

Replies

• Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure. I eat the hormel pre-cooked bacon. I love that stuff!
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Go turkey bacon, extra lean Jennie-O

20 Calories a slice.... and its delicious
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Go turkey bacon, extra lean Jennie-O

20 Calories a slice.... and its delicious

Nah, turkey bacon is more processed and like I said I don't eat it often so it's the real deal or bust for me!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is surprisingly tastey to be honest.

It looses calories and fat when you cook it because of all the grease you cook out of it
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you have a food scale you could weigh the cooked and patted down slices and see how many calories are in that many grams of bacon, according to the nutritional information. It might not be totally accurate because the grease might have a different number of calories than the actual meat (I'm really not sure) but it's probably closer than entering it as uncooked! I have the same problem but no food scale.... I usually put it in as 3/4 slice which is probably not great.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bacon that often, so I'm not sure how to put it into my MFP diary. The brand I buy is 230 calories and 22 grams of fat for 2 uncooked pieces, and when I cook it I drain it in paper towels and pat completely dry, so how do you figure out the calorie/fat/sodium difference once the bacon's cooked?

I'm not really sure. I eat bacon frequently, I just use the uncooked nutrition facts.
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I thought most packs of bacon usually provided cooked facts vs uncooked? I buy the center cut and I think its 70 calories for 2 slices (the slices are smaller than normal bacon slices).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    That is weird. My fave bacon labels it as the after cooking calories. I get Wellshire Farms 40% reduced fat. 2 pieces is 60 calories and 3 grams of fat. Looks and tastes exactly the same, if a little less streaky. It is nitrate free and has less sodium.

I think typical bacon is more like 45 calories a slice, and 5 grams of fat each.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If you have a food scale you could weigh the cooked and patted down slices and see how many calories are in that many grams of bacon, according to the nutritional information. It might not be totally accurate because the grease might have a different number of calories than the actual meat (I'm really not sure) but it's probably closer than entering it as uncooked! I have the same problem but no food scale.... I usually put it in as 3/4 slice which is probably not great.

Hmm, yeah that makes sense but I'm not sure about the accuracy. I was surprised that it wasn't listed after cooking.

I use 50% reduced salt bacon, but I need to find that nitratre-free stuff too, not sure I can get it here though