Super excited, is this even possible?

Options
I have been running (well, jogging) an average of about 15-20 miles a week and love it. I am signed up to do my first 5k next week but I have another opportunity that is a dream of mine.
I have a slot to run in the NYC marathon!!! I have 6 and a half months to train, I think this is possible. I just would absolutely love to achieve this. I welcome any tips, suggestions, etc.
Don't you guys think I should do it? :wink:

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have been running (well, jogging) an average of about 15-20 miles a week and love it. I am signed up to do my first 5k next week but I have another opportunity that is a dream of mine.
    I have a slot to run in the NYC marathon!!! I have 6 and a half months to train, I think this is possible. I just would absolutely love to achieve this. I welcome any tips, suggestions, etc.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    YES!!! you got an amazing opportunity to run in the NYC marathon! definitely take advantage of it!! just focus and train and I'm sure you can do it. And walking a little is OK too! :drinker:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Do it!! Wow! An opportunity for a dream come true!:bigsmile:
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Most definitely...GO FOR IT!!!! You are only limited by your dreams...Best to you always, Rick
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Um... duh! Of course you go for it! Six months is plenty of time to train, especially if you're already running that many miles now. Plus, if you do it, then I'll think that I can do it, which will be good motivation. Yes, my motives here are selfish - lol.

Good luck!
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! Do it!! I'm doing a 5k tomorrow and so excited. First one. So I'd say absolutely go for it. One more thing to cross off your 'things to do before I die" list. GO for it! Good luck and congrats on getting that spot.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do it
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I totally think you should do it....

what's this talk about spots? are there a limited number of participants? if so then REALLY do it! you may not get another opportunity!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    What fun!
    Good for you!
    yes
    Go for it.
    Then come & tell us all about it.
    :bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Absolutely go for it. If you have the time/$$$ I would look for a marathon training group. There are groups all over that take people just like you and designed programs, group runs, guidance, etc to prepare for the big race.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Most marathons now offer training programs for participants to use or you can go to runnersworld.com and find a trainig regimen that will work for your time frame based on your current timing stats.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Do it, do it, do it-- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a guy who runs his own birthday marathon every year. If he can do it so can you!
    http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=288199

Happy Training:drinker:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Keiko, that guy is so inspiring.
    I went out for a run this morning and I really think that I am going to do it. The thought of all that training makes me nervous but I know that if I put my mind to it, I should be ok.
    My goal will be to simply finish it, I'm not worried about my speed because to be honest, it's going to be tough enough training myself to run these long distances.
    My official training starts next week!

Lucky Leprechaun, I 'think" the ING NYC marathon is the world's largest marathon and has so many applicants that you have to pre-qualify for guaranteed entry and then the rest of the applicants are chosen by a lottery system. To pre-qualify you have to have raced in 9 NY races or have really fast finishing times for past marathons. The other exception for guaranteed entry is going through a charity. My cousin that I am really close to lives in Manhattan and works for the Ronald McDonald House and they have a team that is running in it. I half jokingly told him I would like to race it with him next year and he said he told his boss about me and they would let me race the team with them, which is awesome. Yet another reason for me to do it!!!

The only thing that has busted my bubble on all of this is that my sister is due with her first child around November 5th, the race is on the first. She is really, really upset with me for even considering it so I am catching grief from her and my mom about how I do not need to do it. I think that the odds of her going into labor on that day are very slim. :frown:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Willy-- your sister's first child is a special event-- but, my goodness, they shouldn't expect you to schedule your life around it-- in my opinion, that is--

have fun training-- !!!!