to pancake or not to pancake?

Well tomorrow is shrove Tuesday - or pancake day... will you be having a pancake? or three? LOL

What is your toppingof choice?
Im a sugar and lemon kind of girl myself.....

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I will be having pancakes. They will be topped with fruit and greek yogurt.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    yum!:tongue:
  • tj5000
    tj5000 Posts: 69 Member
    Yes I'm thinking of doing some with oranges. Although savoury ones with mince are good too! Enjoy!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Why tuesdays? Is it an IHOP thing?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Yeah what is Shrove Tuesday?
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Yeah what is Shrove Tuesday?

It is the way the British celebrate the start of lent- they have pancake day, which is the treat they are allowed before fasting for 40 days.

Shrove Tuesday is a Chirstian celebration, so not celebrated by all.

In the Netherlands they have 'carnival'- which is a 4 day celebration before lent (although most don't fast any more, but still have the party/ pancake). In other countries they may celebrate it differently.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    I swear by protein pancakes! They taste just like regular pancakes and they're loaded with protein & lower calorie.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Oh so it's like Mardi Gras but with pancakes
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    For dessert last night I had some vegan chocolate 'protein' pancakes with chocolate peanut butter and walnut pieces for topping. I don't see why you couldn't have it for breakfast!
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    I think originally you gave up butter and milk for lent and making pancakes was a good way to use up any still around! I will make some pancakes, but perhaps not tomorrow, maybe at the weekend. Banana and nutella!
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Remember though, when us brits talk about pancakes, we dont mean IHOP style pancakes, we mean what you across the pond call crepes.

Yes, I will be having some, and being as I grew up across the pond, I will be embracing the inner american child in me, and having a bit of maple syrup. :)

I also plan tp try some agave nectar on one, but I'm not so sure I'll like it on pancakes!
  • tnorth82
    Oh so it's like Mardi Gras but with pancakes

^^^^^ love this!
  • eggs whites, favorite protein, almond milk = good healthy pancakes :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Well this thread has cemented my decision to have a mess of pancakes this weekend.

I don't think this is how a weight loss website is supposed to work? Oh well...
  • tnorth82
    I don't think a lot of Brits even know the true meaning TBH, its just something thats got to be a 'tradition' and the majority of people having pancakes wont give up anything for lent either.
  • Some folks in my family do this but I grew up in the US I think my parents lost a bit of these traditions....
    maybe I'll make some buckwheat pumpkin pancakes anyway :-)
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    I swear by protein pancakes! They taste just like regular pancakes and they're loaded with protein & lower calorie.

what's the recipe for them? i'm intrigued!
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    I am totally having pancakes!
    With banana and honey I think. Mmmm yummy!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Some folks in my family do this but I grew up in the US I think my parents lost a bit of these traditions....
    maybe I'll make some buckwheat pumpkin pancakes anyway :-)

sounds great, could you share your recipe please? :smile:
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Bacon and Maple syrup mmm