weight vs strength

Options
Ok I have a question maybe you guys can help me with.... I was 227 lbs when I started MFP about a month ago. I have lost 16 lbs already and my goal is to get down to 170-175 lbs and also build muscle. But the question I have is, should I worry about losing the weight first and then worry about weight lifting or should I do them both at the same time?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Start lifting right away. As we lose weight we lose both fat and muscle. It's just the way the body works. Strength training and adequate protein intake minimize this muscle loss. It's much easier to retain muscle than to try to rebuild it post diet. Most people will not gain a significant amount of muscle while losing weight (on a calorie deficit), but you can increase your strength.

Additionally weight lifting is way more fun than cardio.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Depends what your short and long term goals are. If your goal is to be ripped by summer, then keep cutting calories and doing cardio with a few days of weights in there so you don't turn into a skinny fat man.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Start lifting right away. As we lose weight we lose both fat and muscle. It's just the way the body works. Strength training and adequate protein intake minimize this muscle loss. It's much easier to retain muscle than to try to rebuild it post diet. Most people will not gain a significant amount of muscle while losing weight (on a calorie deficit), but you can increase your strength.

+1
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    Both cardio and weight lifting are useful when it comes to losing weight. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn. So incorporating both is helpful, and weight training can be fun. With the proper diet and workout regimen, you'll achieve your goals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lift and get adequate protein to keep as much of your existing muscle as you can, and you'll reach your goal body before you reach your goal weight.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

+1 more.

Also remember that just because you make strength gains, that doesn't mean you are gaining muscle but conditioning the muscle you have.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    like a few of my friends here like to say: start lifting last week
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    and if none of the above advice works for you, lift lift lift
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks all, I will start tomorrow then