Squats vs Lunges

Options
I do both, but I'm wondering if the work the same muscles? I feel like my butt and the tops of my thighs hurt the same, but is it due to one or both?

Do you do squats and/or lunges? How many reps?

also, when doing lunges, should the weight be pressed onto your forward leg, or pulled from your back?

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    They both work the quads and glutes but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them both :-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I do them both. Lunges seem to hit my as a little more. I also think that the one-leg isolation of the lunges is a good thing.

ETA: You should do deadlifts too to really hit your butt and hamstrings.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to over do it.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You won't over do it. I do both. I think lunges work the hamstrings a little more.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    i think the lunges get the groin area more as your stretching a lot more....

But both hit the quads and hams and buttocks. When i was doing my leg routine i would do both moves.

For squats as i wanted more muscle i lifted weight which made me stop between the 8-12 rep range. If you want more endurance i would hit the 12-20 rep range.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    I do them both. Lunges seem to hit my as a little more. I also think that the one-leg isolation of the lunges is a good thing.

ETA: You should do deadlifts too to really hit your butt and hamstrings.

I might try that tonight, my butt is my biggest area of concern :tongue: :drinker:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Lunges can be modified to target the quads, glutes, or hamstrings.

This article shows a split squat, but it's the same idea: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/split-squat-technique.html
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Also to really hit your butt make sure you go all the way down in the squat, just past parallel.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do both, but not on the same day.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Also to really hit your butt make sure you go all the way down in the squat, just past parallel.

like knee to the ground?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lunges and I are not on speaking terms at the moment.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

like knee to the ground?

ATG: *kitten* to grass

Drop that butt way way down. It's a great booty workout and works the hammies pretty well too i you go down slowly.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    lunges work the entire thigh to add resistance you can put the foot of your working leg on a chair or bench. I recommended checking out the strength training anatomy books.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

like knee to the ground?

Drop that butt way way down. It's a greaty booty workout and works the hammies pretty well too i you go down slowly.

^^^very few people have the hamstring flexibility to go all the way down without rounding their lower backs
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

like knee to the ground?

yup. you're actually supposed to do the most work with your BACK leg. take a step forward, make sure your knee doesn't go further then your toes, and bend down with your back leg.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

like knee to the ground?

Drop that butt way way down. It's a greaty booty workout and works the hammies pretty well too i you go down slowly.

^^^very few people have the hamstring flexibility to go all the way down without rounding their lower backs

That's true. I never had a problem because I do have a lot of flexibility in my hamstrings.

OP: This is a concern so just be sure you don't round your back when you go down. If you do, don't go down so far and work on stretching your hamstrings and gaining a little flexibility there.
  • Rae6503
    Options

like knee to the ground?

Go down until your upper leg is parallel to the floor, or just past that.

how-to-squat-2.jpg
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    if i was to do ATG, i would have a sumo stance rather than the conventional feet shoulder width apart....

Even a conventional squat hits the buttocks...

My technique is...

keep my head looking straight forward, then move my buttocks down slowly as if i want to sit on a chair and take my quads to parallel (not below), push through the heels and come back up. That way my buttocks are worked anyway :)

Amber, when you are in the squat, think 'push through heel' that way you know your legs are being worked, rather than causing any problems to the knees
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do both!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    And don't be afraid to go lighter if you have to. Form is very important.