Article - Different thinking re weightloss

I am at work at the moment, so have not been able to look at this in depth - but it seems to confirm what many on here have experienced once they are part way through their weightloss and the weightloss slows down.....

Quote : "Over a certain period of time, the body adjusts to conditions put in place with a calorie-restrictive diet. The result is a plateau effect which sees no weight loss on a restricted diet"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10786947 (Title of the article :Everything you know about dieting is wrong: scientists)

In the article there is a link to a model for calculating calorie goals - can't wait to have a look tonight....

Quote : "The new model gives dieters one calorie goal for short-term weight loss and another for permanent weight loss. Exercise is also calculated in to help set realistic goals."

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Yeah, avoiding and dealing with plateaus is not something that MFP teaches very well.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    This sounds interesting.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    BUMP
  • This is really cool! Check out the simulator when you get a chance. :bigsmile:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I read the article and didn't find any information that is not available on MFP. MFP lowers your calorie limit as you lose weight. When I started out I was losing weight at a base rate that is much higher than my base rate now that I am in maintenance. People on MFP plateau all the time and this article is not their answer since, if they are following the rate MFP sets for them, they will continuously lower their calories as they lose.

The article makes the stretch assumption that the person who is giving up the latte is at maintenance calories, lowers it by the latte amount, then once they have lost x number of pounds, they 'plateau'. That is not the definition of a plateau. If you are maintaining your weight by matching calorie in, calorie out expenditures, that is not a plateau that is maintenance. A plateau is where you believe (rightly or wrongly sometimes) that your calorie in is less that your calories out and you are not seeing results on the scale. As people have found out, this is a very tricky problem to solve.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    The simulator was great, it looks like I'm eating the right number of calories for weight loss. I'm going to check back on it once I get to maintenance phase.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Bump