helping a friend move

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
If you asked friends to help you move from one place to another, would you offer to give them something? Like buy them dinner or take them to a movie or a drink?

My roommate's boyfriend is moving next weekend apparently and he asked another one of our roommates to help him. I asked her "so what are you getting for it?" and she looked at me confused and was like "what do you mean?' I said back, "Isn't he at least gonna buy you guys dinner or something in return?" and she told me no, he hadn't said anything about that.

I wouldn't give up my Saturday to help someone move unless I got something in return. Is that selfish or he is just lacking normal etiquette in this situation?

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    it would be nice if the person offered dinner or some other small concession. i would only help a very good friend move. so if they're very good friends, then its a give and take and you help him and then he helps you.

i would never help an acquaintance move... and i think its pretty presumptuous to ask someone you dont know well to do such a huge favor.. and helping someone move is a huge favor..
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Anytime I've had people help me move, I always have food and drinks for everyone. When my boyfriend and I moved into our house, we had a couple friends offer to help the night before we had the moving truck with odds and ends and some small stuff. We took them to dinner for that. To each their own, though. :smile: