Cross Fit/Paleo Diet?

Options
Hey everyone. I've always done the basic workout routines from playing sports, and hitting the gym with cardio and strength training. I've been wanting to try something new, and I've met a lot of people who are into Crossfit. I've been thinking about joining my local Crossfit gym and trying out the paleo diet as well. Has anyone here had any experience with either of these, or heard anything? Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• gsherrill09
    Options
    I haven't had any experience with CrossFit, but a really awesome resource for the paleo diet is Mark Sisson's blog at marksdailyapple.com. It's a very approachable form of the paleo diet, and he uses science to back up his advice. Check out his website, it will answer 99% of your questions about paleo/primal. I've tried paleo/primal in the past and loved it, but it was very hard to stick to at college and traveling abroad. I just recently started to eat that way again and I'd forgotten just how awesome I feel! Hope this helps! Good luck to you! :)
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you search the groups here you will find a few for both Crossfit and Paleo/Primal.

The Marks Daily Apple site has a wealth of free info. It's not the most user friendly site imo. The members can be a bit rough at times, but his blog is really great.

Good luck! Once you do your research, you won't ever want to eat any other way.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    crossfit and paleo do not have to do hand and hand. i would try some crossfit workouts first, at your local gym. you can find them on their website.

paleo works for some people, but its not like you just wake up tomorrow and only eat paleo. its a bit of transition. and their are a lot of people that are paleo and are like, 90% paleo. like, they still eat potatoes.

back to crossfit, it think its a great tool, but like with everything, make sure its right for you. a lot of crossfit gyms aren't perfect. i prefer my gym, where i can do a basic lifting routine, or a crossfit work out that i pulled off line.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Paleo???

I thought cavemen evolved......
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Of course it is up to you, but I would not recommend staying on the Paleo diet for long. Whole grains and beans are an important part of our nutrition, and when you take them out of your diet, you might be missing some important nutrients. Besides, archeologists around the world have discovered that our ancestors have been eating grains and beans for as long as humans have been farming -- which was pretty close to the stone age.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Of course it is up to you, but I would not recommend staying on the Paleo diet for long. Whole grains and beans are an important part of our nutrition, and when you take them out of your diet, you might be missing some important nutrients. Besides, archeologists around the world have discovered that our ancestors have been eating grains and beans for as long as humans have been farming -- which was pretty close to the stone age.

do you just keep searching for crossfit threads??
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I've had conversations with the chick who started the whole "Paleo Approved" seal of approval silliness... I'll just leave it at that. I wouldn't want to get any kind of warning.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How's your research going? Have you checked out Marks Daily Apple? Beans and grains have absolutely no useful nutrients that you can't get from other sources, btw. But, they do cause a whole slew of health problems.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Even though you may not need grains and beans to be healthy, there are too many foods I enjoy in those categories for me to want to go Paleo.

If someone has a food allergy to grains or beans, that's a different story - but why give up healthy whole grains and beans when you probably don't need to?