HRM for obese person?

Options
Hi! I know heart rate monitors are talked to death on the forums, but my question is about a HRM for an obese person. It is my understanding there is a chest strap that is used with heart rate monitors, but I have heard some people say that certain brands have chest straps that are too small for an obese person. I really want to find a HRM so I can get an accurate assessment of my workouts, but I have been hesitant to spend the money because I don't want to get one if I can't use it. Has anyone with a chest measurement of 48" found a HRM that works? (I assume I measure right underneath my breast?) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my chest measurement is but when I started I was 288 pounds and the chest strap on the polar F6 fit just fine.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I just bought the polar ft4 on bodytronics.com for 61.00 with free shipping. Its chest strap goes up to 54 inches.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and mine fits really good with alot of room to spare. I was afraid of the same thing but I am glad it fits and is very comfortable.I am 42" around that area and I use to be 48"-50"... Good luck
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/POLAR-FT40M-Black-Heart-Monitor/dp/B0036QI9JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329781769&sr=8-1

Strap fits 46-60 inches. I'm 6'3, large frame and was 440 or so when I got mine. it fit fine with even room to spare.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The strap does not go directly underneath your breast but more under where the sports bra hits.

Polar's straps are fabric, stretchy and adjustable.. Plus if you order from heartratemonitorsusa.com, you can pick what size strap that you want, instead of getting the default medium sized strap.
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! THANK YOU!