Zero Calorie Pasta...

Options

Replies

• gleechick609
    Options
    I prefer real pasta :smile:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The first thought when I smelled then even after cooked... was similar to my dorm room community bathroom while the whole floor was on the rag. I seriously gagged, through them away, and immediately took out the trash. Couldn't handle it -.-
  • may62108
    Options
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and I agree w/ everyone else, they're really gross :( They reek like nobody's business, and by the time I got them rinsed and prepared my meal, I was so put off by the smell that I couldn't think of anything else so I didn't even eat them.

If you want low-calorie "spaghetti", I would recommend getting a julienne peeler and making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's pretty much flavorless, so you can put whatever you want on top, plus it cooks quickly and is obviously very good for you!
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bought some today although they are 40 cal for the entire bag. I know to rinse them well but I love pasta. I think this might be a good alternative. Will have to see.
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've used them both. I wouldn't use them in Italian dishes. I make Thai Noodle soup with them and stir fries and they work great. After trying them a few times, my hubby and I decided that we like the texture of the tofu shirataki noodles better. And since he won't touch tofu with a ten foot pole, that is saying something.
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    I eat the Tofu Shirataki brand. It's 40 calories per bag. You really have to rinse them, dry them, and then parbroil them. They are better as a stir fry than with tomato sauce.
  • TinySal
    TinySal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try draining them. Rinse under cold water. Dry cook them in non stick pan until they shrink a bit and water is gone. Now add them to highly flavored sauce
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just saw your verdict, and I do hope you don't have to buy a whole case like I did, only to find out they just weren't worth the downsides.

If you end up not liking them (or even if you do but want something different sometimes) you should try Fiber Gourmet pasta.

www.fibergourmet.com

Totally amazing. Half the net calories of real pasta, less than half the net carbs (I think). And they taste and feel REAL! Just don't overcook them or they get mushy really fast. I live by this stuff.

Good luck!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ick... No thank you I will stick with real pasta
  • KimberlyP48183
    Options
    I bought some and I agree they smell super gross. I added some light spaghetti sauce along with parmesan cheese and they were ok..
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    I'll agree with Sunshine. Spaghetti squash is the best. And you just reminded me to get some next time i'm at the grocery store. Great stuff.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If you want low-calorie "spaghetti", I would recommend getting a julienne peeler and making spaghetti out of zucchini. It's pretty much flavorless, so you can put whatever you want on top, plus it cooks quickly and is obviously very good for you!

Or just buy a spaghetti squash and cut it open? Hard part's already done and waiting for you on the inside. ;)

cooked-spaghetti-squash-02.jpg
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You have to rinse them for about 20 minutes for the odd smell to go away. They tasted OK, but eh, not my thing. I'm with everyone else, rather just have a small portion of real pasta.

But yes, they are zero calories, but they aren't even really a food. They have no nutritional value, and act solely as a filler. BTW, they don't even make you full, not even a little.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    As I understand it they are 100% a fibre that humans cannot absorb the nutrients from, and the serving size is something like 200 grams, so they are not playing with the make the portion really small thing. I have used them once, not my favourite thing. The Tofu/Shirtaki noodles are better, much more like pasta.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Too stinky. Blah!

Spaghetti squash is much better IMO

Must agree with this! I couldn't get past the fishy smell of the shirataki noodles to even try and put them in my mouth!! Spaghetti squash is way better!!
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Tried it. Texture is minging.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    They're not a really a pasta, they're a traditional Japanese noodle, therefore they are not going to have any of the same characteristics as pasta, other than being long and stringy. They are made from konjac, which is a root, a sort of yam. They are pretty much soluble fibre.

They are rubbery, which, if that is the texture you enjoy, then you'd like 'em. If not, then steer clear. The tofu variety contains a small amount of carbohydrates, which changes the texture to something less rubbery.

They are stored in water, which is how they are preserved, they contain a fishy smell, some of which can be washed away by cooking and/rinsing.

I don't love, nor dislike them but if you're desperate for noodles and don't want carbs, they may be the alternative you're looking for. You just have to know what to expect.

12854723.png
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you rinse them well, then drop in boiling water for a minute or two, you can get rid of the smell. I have tried the regular, tofu and pasta slim varieties. They are rubbery. I made the mistake of getting the wide noodle variety (fettuccine). Unchewable, Try the angel hair variety and when you open them, take scissors and cut them into bite size. If prepared right they can be quite yummy.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My Mom taught me as a small child that if something smells rancid when you open it, it is better not to eat it! Bought some, opened them, gagged, took them outside to the trash can instead of my kitchen trash... Lesson learned!