HG's Cheesy Good Chili Fries

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds -- large enough to yield 20 ounces uncooked flesh)
1 container Boca Meatless Chili (or 9.5 oz. of another low-fat veggie chili**)
1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. kosher (or regular) salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Optional Toppings: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Cut squash in half widthwise (making it easier to manage) and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife. Cut squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out all the seeds. Next, cut squash into french fry shapes (for best results, try to keep them even in size). Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture. Place squash in a bowl, add a light mist of nonstick spray, and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper. Toss squash to evenly distribute salt and pepper, and then transfer to a large baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Use 2 pans if needed. Squash pieces should lie flat in the pan. Place pan(s) in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Leaving the oven on, transfer fries to a large oven-safe plate. Prepare the chili as directed on the package, and then pour it over the fries. Sprinkle with cheese, and place the plate in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Carefully remove from the oven and, if you like, top with sour cream and scallions. Makes 2 enormous and amazingly delicious servings.

Serving Size: half of recipe (1 HUGE serving)- So this can be half the calories!!
Calories: 248
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 762mg
Carbs: 47g
Fiber: 11.5g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 22g

POINTS® value 4*

**Compare to :
Serving Size: 1 order
Calories: 1,220
Fat: 73g
Sodium: 2,420mg
Carbs: 112g
Fiber: 12g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 32g

POINTS® value 30*

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Ingredients:
    1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds -- large enough to yield 20 ounces uncooked flesh)
    1 container Boca Meatless Chili (or 9.5 oz. of another low-fat veggie chili**)
    1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1/8 tsp. kosher (or regular) salt
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    Optional Toppings: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Cut squash in half widthwise (making it easier to manage) and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife. Cut squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out all the seeds. Next, cut squash into french fry shapes (for best results, try to keep them even in size). Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture. Place squash in a bowl, add a light mist of nonstick spray, and sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper. Toss squash to evenly distribute salt and pepper, and then transfer to a large baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Use 2 pans if needed. Squash pieces should lie flat in the pan. Place pan(s) in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or so (longer for thick-cut fries, shorter for skinnier fries), flipping halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy. Leaving the oven on, transfer fries to a large oven-safe plate. Prepare the chili as directed on the package, and then pour it over the fries. Sprinkle with cheese, and place the plate in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Carefully remove from the oven and, if you like, top with sour cream and scallions. Makes 2 enormous and amazingly delicious servings.

Serving Size: half of recipe (1 HUGE serving)- So this can be half the calories!!
    Calories: 248
    Fat: 1g
    Sodium: 762mg
    Carbs: 47g
    Fiber: 11.5g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 22g

POINTS® value 4*

**Compare to :
    Serving Size: 1 order
    Calories: 1,220
    Fat: 73g
    Sodium: 2,420mg
    Carbs: 112g
    Fiber: 12g
    Sugar: 1g
    Protein: 32g

POINTS® value 30*
  • pokerstar
    Options
    You had me until I read the sodium!
  • rissa1322
    rissa1322 Posts: 107
    Options
    so butternut squash is spagetti squash right?
    or wrong?
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    so butternut squash is spagetti squash right?
    or wrong?

No... spaghetti squash is a alot different. It has a stringy consistency that wouldn't be good for this recipe.

Butternut squash is creamy in color and is shaped kind of like a pear (except much bigger!)

Spaghetti squash is oval in shape and is a medium yellow color.

Hope this helps!

Kelly
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    You had me until I read the sodium!
    I'd rather have the HG version than the regular but that's just me.
    This recipe can give you an idea... you can always use other ingredients.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • lshutt
    lshutt Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe it sounds good. I will try it this weekend....
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome Ishutt.

• wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    For a giant serving like that to have almost 800mg of soduim doesn't sound too daunting to me. Especially since a can of healthy request soup has just as much if not more!. This is still an indulgence, but to have a healthy recipie for chili fries is awesome! Thanks. :drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Exactly wuzzi.
    You can cut the cals, carbs, fat, sodium and everything else in half since it's a huge serving.
    Enjoy!!

• rebecca08
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I just went to the store and added the ingredients to my list. I can't wait to go home and make them tonight! :tongue:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I just went to the store and added the ingredients to my list. I can't wait to go home and make them tonight! :tongue:
    Very welcome Rebecca!
    Enjoy!