"0 calorie foods"

Options
It has come to my attention that the FDA allows anything with less than 5 calories per serving to be labeled as calorie free, or zero calories. Not a big deal for most things. For example, walden farms zero calorie dressings have actually 3-4 calories a serving, although it says "0" on the nutrition label. So in fact, the entire bottle actually contains 32 odd calories. Not a huge deal. Most things would not add up too high, like say, coffee which rather than "0" actually has about 2 per serving. Still, not a big deal.... Even 10 cups wouldn't break the calorie bank. Here's my point though... It's still something to be mindful of, because nothing except water truly contains zero calories. My mother, a perpetual dieter, has tried every diet out there and succeeded at none. Anyways, I digress.... I was watching her very liberally apply "I can't believe it's not butter" spray to her diet popcorn-a nightly occurance for her. To the tune of, say, 40 sprays or more. Well 5 sprays contains "0" calories but the entire bottle in fact contains over 900 calories and 99 grams of fat. She goes through those bottles left and right, counting each usage as "nothing". She was shocked when I told her this. Sneaky FDA! Just thought I'd share, I thought it's a good tip for newbies.

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry for grammar and run-ons.... I did this on my iphone's tiny little browser (broken laptop)
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is a great reminder that nothing besides water has no calories :) thanks so much!
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks for reminding me! Sometimes I don't pay attention... you are so right!
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    Thank you I never thought of using that on popcorn. But not 40 sprays but maybe a few. I eat it as is right now. Sometimes a sprinkle of popcorn sour cream in the shaker.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most things don't make a big difference, but I've literally seen people open the bottles of that butter spray and pour it on thief food, thinking "hey, its zero calories!"
  • honeys7
    Options
    Great information - thank you for sharing.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I wasn't even aware any food was classed at 0 calories. I don't think I've ever seen that here in the UK.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yup. Even a few Tic Tacs can add up. Shocked to find that out.
  • rkwilliams1221
    rkwilliams1221 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GREAT information!!! THANKS!!!
  • mreko2005
    Options
    I never knew that, Jacksmom12, I always assumed that if it said 0 calories then, that's what it contained. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes your FDA is a pretty messed up organization. Aren't they the same ones that labelled Pizza as a "vegetable" in Schools??
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yeah, most things don't make a big difference, but I've literally seen people open the bottles of that butter spray and pour it on thief food, thinking "hey, its zero calories!"

Ewwie! Haha it takes me a few months to go through one of those xD
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Does this mean I have to cut back on the pickles?
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    There are a few foods other than water that contain no calories, salt for example, but the list is very very short. Basically if it started out as a living thing in some form then it has calories.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's always nice to see these posts. Good looking out ;)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Think, "Granulated Splenda", which also falls into this category. 1 tsp may be considered negligible, but when you are adding it by the cup, to a recipe, there are carbs and calories which if counted as Zero, could greatly effect your results.
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes your FDA is a pretty messed up organization. Aren't they the same ones that labelled Pizza as a "vegetable" in Schools??

No, that's the USDA.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

No, that's the USDA.

Oh yes sorry I get those mixed up sometimes. That's the US Dep of Agri and the Food/Drug Agency. I'm starting to get my US departments in line ;)
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dont think that happens here in NZ - I've never seen something labelled as 0 calories, and things that are less than 5 calories still have their nutritional information. Must be pretty confusing over there in the US!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I found this out a while ago.. bumping so others can get to read it! GREAT INFO