Best work out for beginners?

Options
I've done my fair share of walking, running on treadmills and other things. But, it's been a while and I'm looking for something to do at home that isn't going to knock me off my feet and leave me hating it right from the start. I have heard that the insanity program is very hard. I thought about the p90x, but is that something that I'm rushing in to also? I haven't worked out for awhile and I've gained about 40 pounds which leaves me with a total of almost 50 pounds to loose... I stopped smoking back in October and the weight gain was super fast! I was starting to gain a little before this but it's like it went into over drive when I stopped smoking. What are the recommendations for a very beginner??

Replies

• qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred! Has worked well for me so far :)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think P90X and Insanity are a little advanced for a beginner, but I loved 30DS when I was starting out! It's a great jump start program and you'll be able to find lots of success stories in the forums for motivation.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition with Chris Powell is about the easiest work out EVER! I had gotten it thinking it might be a little more intense but it isn't. If you are starting from square 1 as far as exercising goes...this is real easy!

Good luck to you! There are very supportive folks on MFP and you'll be cheered on every step of the way!
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    I heard Jillian Michael's new Body Revolution was good for beginners, so I ordered that -- it should be here this week. I'll post about it when I start.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Congrats on stopping smoking and the weight loss so far! I did 30 day shred about a month into my weight loss and it didn't kill me. :smile: It is pretty intense, but take it easy at first and by the end your endurance will be much better!
  • mgero212
    Options
    Starting going to strength and cardio classes!
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Start out easy and work up. There are a lot of cardio and fitness dvd's out there. I've heard the local library rents them, you could check that out.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at home videos are easy for beginners and easy to do as you move up. She has many different lengths and typs of videos to do.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get back into exercising. I agree that Jillian Michae's 30 Day Shred is a great work out and pretty good for beginners. I would also recommend The Biggest Loser's Weightloss Yoga. Not only does it help you lose weight, but it really does relax you and make you more flexible. Personally, I joined a class at my college that goes twice a week and on the other days try to go for a nice walk around campus or the ajoining trails.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you've been out of the game a while like I have been, Richard Simmons is actually really good. You have to get past his kookiness, but it is low impact, fun, and works! 30 lbs in 6 weeks to prove it :)
  • kymcyndie55
    Options
    Honestly, when I get bored of a workout I will go on a fitness magazine website. They usually have exercises to do and cardio plan. I don't know how to answer your question because I don't know what you like. Examples: If you like to
    dance I recommend hip hop abs, the first one.
    kickboxing, then turbo jam
    Etc, Also at super markets you can find some for 10-15 dollars....well her in Grand Rapids, MI you can.
    But if your not sure I would check out the fitness mag sites, try them and u will see what you like and dislike.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!! I wanted to try the 30 day shred but I wasn't too sure. I never thought about checking out the library either, thanks!!!
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba, it's fun, it has good music, it's not hard on your joints and you get a good work out. You don't even feel like you've exercised after you're done. I tried it and fell in love with it, although I do it at Club Fitness. I don't know how good the dvd's are.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I don't think P90x is too terrible for beginners, but they do make a Power 90 workout program (a precursor to P90x). However, many people thought Power 90 was too easy. I did p90x and enjoyed it, but I don't have the drive to exercise at home.

In all honesty, any workout you're willing to stick with is a good beginner's workout.
  • Taymay75
    Taymay75 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walk at home DVDs are really good. It's just four basic steps and you can increase the intensity yourself. It's great for beginners. You can also go to college video website and do a search by fitness level.

http://www.collagevideo.com/main.aspx?source=google&prioritycode=RP53&gclid=CNm0l8CCrq4CFQZeTAodAQhrRA
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Part of me really wants the p90x too! I've been looking at that one.....
    The walk at home is nice... but I want something a little more moving lol. I don't even break a sweat with that one.
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    Zumba gives a great workout if you're looking for cardio. I'm also learning to lift heavy weights too.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think it is SO smart to start easy and work up. I always kill myself working out and then like you say I just end up hating it and don't want to do it anymore!

When you're starting out, the best workout is... the one you'll do. If it's super hard or inconvenient or makes you feel like you're going to die, you might not stick with it and therefore it's not as effective as an easier one would be. If it makes you feel POWERFUL because you can DO it, then that is what gets addicting and you'll want to do it again and again. Find what works for you where you are right now. Best wishes!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Try George St Pierre's Rushfit, it's super-easy.
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has two DVDs for beginners. They're a good workout and help you learn how to do things safely if you don't have much experience with that kind of exercise. http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-Beginners-Frontside-Backside/dp/B000J10KN2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329796580&sr=8-3