Calories burned mucking horse stalls?

Options
2»

Replies

• radleyz
    radleyz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What a great post! As someone who mucks out and cares for my two horses at home 24/7 this is great information. I had nominally added around 130 calories for 30 to 40 minutes of yard chores. My horses are on rubber mats with around a quarter of a bale of hay or straw which is removed daily. Add pushing heavy barrow over muddy ground and scaling the muck heap. Lifting and carrying 25kg sacks of feed and square hay bales then brushing over and attending other equine jobs then it is really a well-balanced work out. I find it does raise heart rate, and respiration rates so it must be good for us right? I think I can increase my exercise calorie expenditure slightly based on the excellent calculation above and see how my weight goes over the next few weeks. I have lost 38 pounds in the last year, Christmas (well whole of December!) blip gained 10 pounds but now lost 6 of those gained pounds and hopefully back on track for a final push and have set this year to lose another 24 pounds if possible. I am motivated by health as I can no longer ride due to needing a knee replacement and need to reduce BMI before they will perform operation. At 60 I would hate to think I will never ride again. Lovely to come across fellow MFP horsey members. I am English living in Ireland :)