VACATION

Options
i am going to costa rica in april.... which is right in the middle of my cut phase. i am very nervous about this... I want to go and enjoy myself and have a good time and not be preoccupied with not wanting to eat or drink due to calories. and i dont want to make my boyfriend suffer because i am so concerned. last time i went on vacation i gained 5lbs which took me about 2-3weeks to lose but i do not know if this will be a bigger problem since i am trying to cut. i plan on still working out while there but i dont know what else to do?

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    any help?
  • lamlam2468
    lamlam2468 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can provide much advice, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm going on VN to Belize at the end of the week and have fallen off the wagon early. I'm not planning on going crazy gorging on foreign food but also will not be picky about counting calories while there. I hope to get a lot of walking and snorkeling in to combat that. Wish you the best!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat too much.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wished I had some answers. I am going to Mexico in April also. Just makes me so nervous about the calories and drinking
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Life is for living. Enjoy your vacation.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    exercise, hike, swim, enjoy your food but don't over do it :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Enjoy vacation, and get back to hard when you return.
    No use in having a rocking body if you cant USE it!
  • brandirobin
    Options
    i agree. what else is a vacation for? i'm going on vaca in a month and already told myself i don't give a damn about counting calories while i'm there. stay active, and enjoy whatever you eat or drink!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on just enjoying the time you have in Costa Rica -- what an awesome experience! You will have time with your boyfriend there and will likely have a wonderful time. Life is too short to worry about what this might do to your cut phase. You will still likely be eating at maintenance of even less without trying. Pick it up when you return and have a great time!
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    i think i am more worried about deserts and alcohol. i will watch my intake while eating and choose healthier options but pina coladas on the beach are a must!! and of course a delish dessert to share with the hubby! i am freaking out and i think it is scarring me more because i am cutting and trying to maintain muscle while losing fat. i was swimming, walking, hiking, and snorkling ALL the time on my last vacation but still managed to gain 5lbs which i will contribute to pina colodas, ice cream and lots of granola and yogurt
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Try to remember-this isn't about a quick fix diet. This is a lifestyle change. You need to get yourself ready to handle food on a daily basis. Don't worry about losing while you're there. Just be ready to eat as part of your new lifestyle. Then enjoy yourself. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Are you going to a resort or will you be travelling around?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

Go and enjoy yourself. Make smart meal choices and know that the change in "diet" is likely going to cause some water retention. I feel like vacation is for enjoy yourself and why bother going if all you're going to do is fret and worry?

Life is too damn short for that.

So, I say go. Enjoy yourself. Try and keep some things in moderation, but overall enjoy the experience! I can't imagine going on vacation and worrying about every single thing I eat or drink. Vacation is FUN and shouldn't cause so much stress.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So a month after you get back you'll have lost what you added. its a month. Now if it threw you into a downward spiral that ended up 60 pounds heavier, that would be bad. A month? You got this. Have a good time. Chill.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a week in Cancun. I ate regular meals (not huge amounts although I stayed full). I drank lots (!) of pina coladas and red wine but only ate a couple of desserts and did not snack too much.
    I walked the beach and took a couple of snorkelling tours but other than that I relaxed and enjoyed the sun.
    I weighed myself today and only gained 1 1/2 pounds, so it was well worth enjoying the food and booze. Thats what a vacation is for.

A little advice though....just let your man enjoy his vacation too. Watch your calories a bit but dont talk about it. That way he will not even know you are doing it.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Gonna echo what the other MFPers are saying. It's a VACATION so leave those worries behind and enjoy to your fullest! I'm going on a short dive trip this weekend, to Krabi and I intend to eat whatever I want, as much as I want and do whatever I want (when I'm not diving) during those 4 days... ain't gonna bother logging it either. Will just have to increase my physical activity when I return :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Switch to a bulk phase for the duration of the vacation. Switch back when you get home. No harm done.

AKA Don't worry about it!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Life is for living. Enjoy your vacation.

Yup, this. There's always next week. Enjoy the vacation, guilt free.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    Are you going to a resort or will you be travelling around?

i will be staying at an all inclusive resort
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    Switch to a bulk phase for the duration of the vacation. Switch back when you get home. No harm done.

AKA Don't worry about it!

this might actaully work? cut until i go and then bulk while gone (they have a weight room and i am taking my supplements and protein powder with) then return to my cut when i get back? this may be plasable