Best exercise for me?

Options
I need help! I swim and play badminton about 3-5x a week. However, it doesn't tone up my muscles in my tummy, I don't like to be muscular and afraid to go to the gym. Any suggestions?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You won't get super muscular by going to the gym, you don't have the testosterone to get "big" or "bulky." If you weight train, you will burn fat faster than if you don't. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    agree with the above. the only way you're going to "tone" your muscles if by lifting weights. although that doenst have to be done ina gym that does have to be done by building muscle
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    all toning is, is losing fat while keeping muscle. its muscle definition.

you cant 'spot reduce' as well all know. the best you can do is just keep losing body fat and preserve muscle mass. i've been lifting heavy duty for about a year now. trust me, you cant bulk up, nor 'tone' anything until you lose body fat. i still have around 23% body fat (just guessing). so i really cant see many of my hard earned muscles. i know they are there because I keep getting stronger.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you want tone, lift weights.
  • aingestirera
    Options
    i should really consider this next month. The look of the gyms bores me. I should find a fun way to tone muscles. Thanks heaps!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    i should really consider this next month. The look of the gyms bores me. I should find a fun way to tone muscles. Thanks heaps!

It does help if you enjoy what you're doing as you'll be more motivated to keep going. As long as you find something which includes resistance work (i.e. strength training) you'll be fine - it doesn't have to be at a gym.
  • ronellevan
    Options
    Strong is the new skinny!

Weights/resistance training is the only real way to change your body shape.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    As somebody has said, you shouldn't worry about the gym building you up too much. I have started running and this is very good for the stomach. If you like exercise DVDs Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a great workout and she does work on your tummy.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Google body weight exercises, and you'll find resistance moves you can do at home with no equipment.