low sodium protein powder or shakes?

Options
Starlage
Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
I'm really trying to cut down on my sodium intake- i'm too often going over 2500 a day. I think an easy way to cut a few hundred would be to change my pre and post exercise protein shake. I'm a fan of atkins pre-mixed protein shakes mostly because they're EASY! I have one either before or after working out or half before and half after- whichever I feel I need that day. Anyone have a protein powder or pre-mixed shake that's low sodium? I usually prefer the strawberry or chocolate flavors. Any suggestions appreciated- thanks!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying to cut down on my sodium intake- i'm too often going over 2500 a day. I think an easy way to cut a few hundred would be to change my pre and post exercise protein shake. I'm a fan of atkins pre-mixed protein shakes mostly because they're EASY! I have one either before or after working out or half before and half after- whichever I feel I need that day. Anyone have a protein powder or pre-mixed shake that's low sodium? I usually prefer the strawberry or chocolate flavors. Any suggestions appreciated- thanks!
    Why are you dropping sodium? That should be the least of your worries, especially if you trying to lose weight.
  • Starlage
    Options
    not dropping it, just working on balancing my macros out. I've got my cals balanced nicely but I'm usually over in sodium and fat so I'm working on changing that. I'm aware that my protein shakes have a few hundred mg of salt so I figure it's an easy way to try and get that sodium intake a little lower. I don't currently have any health probs but with a family history or heart issues- sodium should be watched :o)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    usually most flavored protein powders have a lot of sodium in them. To make 'sweet' things taste better, companies add in lots of salt. Weird fact I know, but Gatorade tastes so good because of the high sodium content.

Also, some flavored protein powders have much less protein per scoop, so you will usually use 2 scoops of flavored compared to 1 scoop of unflavored.

I use an unflavored powder, and then I can add in fresh fruit, or mix it in my oatmeal, mix it into baked goods (when making protein bars). I really like Now Foods 100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate powder. It has 40mg of sodium per serving, compared to their chocolate version which has 81mg of sodium.

Good Luck!
  • Starlage
    Options
    Thanks for responding- I appreciate the tip!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Protein - french vanilla from Trader Joes....60g of sodium per scoop...I here you on the soduim my doctor tells me 2500 is way too high for me I lowered it to 1500 and before lunch I'm way over.....first I have to get the calorie thing right then focus on the soduim.....I try to drink at least 100-125 oz or more of water daily....I don't but I believe I'm flushing is out:ohwell:

oh 100 cals per scoop....
  • Starlage
    Options
    yeah sodium's a hard one to tackle for me! Like today i've gfot my day planned out fairly 'natural' with no frozen foods and only a couple of processed things (ham lunch meat, egg whites in the carton) and I'm already at 1.820mg of sodium and haven't had dinner yet!! I'll be able to keep it below 2500 but like you said- even 2500's too high for most people. That's not one that's a 'goal'- it's more like a maximum limit! As far as protein powder goes I went ahead and bought EAS 100% whey vanilla flavor and it's only got 60mg of sodium but I like your idea of looking at trader joe's or i'm thinking like PCC or Whole foods- maybe there are more natural less processed versions out there. Oh well, i've got a little carton for the next couple of weeks. Thanks!