OT- I need gift ideas

Options
My boyfriend's 30th birthday is coming up in a couple days. On previous birthdays, I did not have much money to spend. So each year (this will be the 5th birthday we have been together) I took him hiking at his favorite park and grilled him a good lunch, maybe give him something little I was able to afford.

This year I have more money to spend (no more than $150...hey! I'm a student, $150 is a lot to me!) and I'd like to get him something just plain cool. It doesn't really have to be sentimental, I am still going to take him hiking and cook his favorite dinner.

Any kind of DVD's and music are out. He already has a pretty insane collection of hundreds of DvDs and thousands of songs. He's got an ipod (or three), doesn't want a cell phone, is bored by clothes, and doesn't spend much time reading.

Any ideas?

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    My boyfriend's 30th birthday is coming up in a couple days. On previous birthdays, I did not have much money to spend. So each year (this will be the 5th birthday we have been together) I took him hiking at his favorite park and grilled him a good lunch, maybe give him something little I was able to afford.

This year I have more money to spend (no more than $150...hey! I'm a student, $150 is a lot to me!) and I'd like to get him something just plain cool. It doesn't really have to be sentimental, I am still going to take him hiking and cook his favorite dinner.

Any kind of DVD's and music are out. He already has a pretty insane collection of hundreds of DvDs and thousands of songs. He's got an ipod (or three), doesn't want a cell phone, is bored by clothes, and doesn't spend much time reading.

Any ideas?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Does he have a GPS or an HRM (if he's into fitness) - or how about a digital camera (to take pics on your hike!)

Guys love gadgets :wink:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    What about tickets to a concert? Or maybe lessons for something he's been wanting to try like learning guitar, martial arts, tennis, whatever.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    What about putting together a photo album with photo's of him growing up threw the years up till the present time with little sayings to go along with each picture. I know its kinda corny but if he is the sentimental type guy (like mine is) he might like that. Plus he could tell you his memories of those pictures, especially when he was growing up.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Well FitGeek, what's the verdict?
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Well, I had a hard time thinking of something. He said he wants to start golfing, so I told him I would get him a set of golf clubs for his birthday, he decided against that saying "no I don't want that, don't get me anything...it's too expensive...blah blah"....

So, I made plans instead.
    I found out that he didn't tell any of his co-workers about his birthday, so tonight when he gets home I am going to go to his work and decorate his desk without him knowing. That way, he will have a nice surprise when he gets to work tomorrow. I bought a bunch of toys, balloons, and a big 30 sign to properly embarrass him with love. I even got him a birthday card "from" each one of our pets and myself.
    I also got him a framed picture of us both, that I wrote a loving note on.
    I am going to make him breakfast in bed: cherry crepes.
    For lunch, I am going to meet him at work with picnic stuff and we will eat over-looking the St. Croix river. It supposed yo be beautiful tomorrow and 76 degrees, it should be lovely!
    Then I am going home to do all of his chores for him, and bake him a huge 3-layer carrot cake. He'll know I love him when he sees that I actually did the dishes. LOL.
    When he gets home from work, a clean house, his favorite dinner of sloppy joes, a big carrot cake, and a half-naked girl (most likely me =P ) will be waiting for him.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Well that is very considerate. A lot better than the tools I was going to suggest. lol

He's a lucky man!

Memaw
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    What about tickets to a concert? Or maybe lessons for something he's been wanting to try like learning guitar, martial arts, tennis, whatever.

I was going to say tickets too... I just got DH tickets to the ACDC concert when they come back through in August.... He is a happy camper, and it's still months away!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a hard time thinking of something. He said he wants to start golfing, so I told him I would get him a set of golf clubs for his birthday, he decided against that saying "no I don't want that, don't get me anything...it's too expensive...blah blah"....

So, I made plans instead.
    I found out that he didn't tell any of his co-workers about his birthday, so tonight when he gets home I am going to go to his work and decorate his desk without him knowing. That way, he will have a nice surprise when he gets to work tomorrow. I bought a bunch of toys, balloons, and a big 30 sign to properly embarrass him with love. I even got him a birthday card "from" each one of our pets and myself.
    I also got him a framed picture of us both, that I wrote a loving note on.
    I am going to make him breakfast in bed: cherry crepes.
    For lunch, I am going to meet him at work with picnic stuff and we will eat over-looking the St. Croix river. It supposed yo be beautiful tomorrow and 76 degrees, it should be lovely!
    Then I am going home to do all of his chores for him, and bake him a huge 3-layer carrot cake. He'll know I love him when he sees that I actually did the dishes. LOL.
    When he gets home from work, a clean house, his favorite dinner of sloppy joes, a big carrot cake, and a half-naked girl (most likely me =P ) will be waiting for him.

Good gosh! That was a HECK of a birthday gift!!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    WOW...you sound exactly like us! Except Nick will be 31 this year. It's hard to come up with new gifts every year when you've been together for so long! It feels like you've gotten him everything! Nick's B-day is coming up in May and luckily he was able to come up with a gift for me to buy.

By this time the guy probably has every gadget, CD, DVD he will ever need!! Nick grew up with the owner of LRG clothing so all his clothes are free so it's pointless for me to even buy clothes now!!! :grumble: