HRM vs FITBIT vs NIKE Fuel Band vs Jawbone UP, the list goes

Options
Hey, need advise, as there are too many choices out there....

Originally, I was considering the HRM (polar, timex, new balance, etc.), but now the list of choices is overwhelming. I've read where the HRM that do not have a chest strap are just too unreliable and some of the Iron Man's are faulty.

Can anyone provide a review of any or all of these items please?

Looking for people who have had their "toys" more than just a few months, as apparently, many of these stop functioning after about six months of hard use. I don't have too much of a budget to spend, so I want to make it count. :blushing:

~katie

Replies

• figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a timex ironman triathalon. It's been in use for over a year and I've never had any issues with it whatsover. I use it 5-6 days a week and it does have a chest strap. While I know it's waterproof, I don't wear it beyond my gym work. My husband and I have been so impressed with mine that I bought him the timex elite version for valentines.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was going to get the Jawbone UP, but since its release its had horrible reviews.
  • sheilashelly1
    Options
    What are you looking to do with what you get?
    If you want to get the most accurate calorie burn during your workout. I would get a HRM that actually calculates it for you.

If you run outside a lot and want to track your runs I would suggest a GPS watch if you can afford it. I have the Nike+ SportWatch and it's pretty cool. It tracks my runs with GPS and when I plug it into my computer it up loads the runs and gives me a map of where I ran and how fast I was running. Sometimes the pace is off, but it still comes out pretty good overall. I have Nike shoes too so that way when I run inside it is able to keep track of the mileage.

I was looking at the Nikefuel Band and while they do seem pretty cool, I feel like right now its more of a fashion statement. It monitors your activity levels from the movement of your arm. Which can be pretty inaccurate if you're riding a bike or doing something with not a lot of arm movement.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Like to hear but sadly it seems none of them offer everything I would want for paying that sort of money.

Nike Fuel with a HRM would be great!
  • bbhegedus
    bbhegedus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the Jawbone UP and love it. The whole sleep tracking thing is awesome. I basically got it for free since they gave me the $100 refund. Also, my first one ended up burning out after a few months but they still replaced it and the replacement is working great.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic too. Looking forward to reading the responses tomorrow morning - off to bed now :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, and I love it. I've had it about 6 months now, and I've never had a problem with it. It does everything I need it to and more! Extremely reasonably priced as well. I think it's well worth the investment!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I first got a mio drive petite hrm because I didn't want a chest strap. It was okay, but sucks to have to stop for 10 sec to get a read.

Now I use a bodybugg, which I love because I wear it all the time so I know how many calories I actually burn every day and just eat 500 less than that. What I don't like is that in another 2 months my free 6 months are up and I think they will force me to pay to keep using the device. Also since its on my arm its a public "I'm losing weight sign" not that anybody missed the fact that I've lost 30 pounds lol... And lastly, the bodybugg has a terrible app and interface so I would prob buy the media fit or whatever it's called version if I had a do over
  • ishen
    ishen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally love Fitbit, but I am also keeping an eye out for other products. I have a Mio HRM that doesn't have a strap but I don't really wear that too often. Fitbit does a pretty good job of tracking my activities throughout the day and I really like their free website and iphone app.
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here is a nice review of the Fitbit vs the Fuel Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skoSNA_wBKc
  • CaterinaGrey
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit. I have tried a lot of different pedometers, but the Fitbit is by far the most accurate and discreet one that I have used. I teach Zumba, and I definitely feel that it gives me an accurate reading. It is cheap, durable, and tracks my sleep.