lab-grown meat

Options
For those of you chronic meat-eaters or non-vegetarians, if you prefer a less negative epithet, you are pushing scientists to try to produce meat in petri dishes in an effort to reduce your environmental impact. As a vegetarian myself, I find this hugely disturbing and unnatural. If you would cut back on your meat consumption even a little bit, this sort of thing would not only be unnecessary, but also it never would have been given serious consideration to begin with. I'm all for coming up with new ways of reducing environmental impact and fixing world hunger, but this is ridiculous. With this in mind, would it really be such a sacrifice to be vegetarian one day a week?

On the nutrition front, it is entirely possible and practical to meet a 40-30-30 macronutrient ratio on a vegetarian diet. I am doing it successfully, and I am NOT eating the same things over and over again. I love delicious food as much as a fat kid loves cupcakes, and I must have variety in my diet. If you are interested, I would happily share with you my meal plans and vegetarian/vegan recipes.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101208/full/468752a.html

Replies

• echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    very disturbing indeed!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't really think its any more disgusting then genetically modified animals being grown with broken bones and open sores in dark sheds living in their own filth, bodies pumped full of cortisone and fear. I think they should ban animal farming and only do the lab meat so if people want a dead flesh fix they can get it in a way that doesn't hurt the earth.
    I would never eat either one though bc its super gross.
  • meli_ssa4
    Options
    What about genetically modified crops?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/genetics_modification/

this is a Canadian website, however the same is happening in the US as well.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't really think its any more disgusting then genetically modified animals

The point is not that it's disgusting, rather the point is that it's unnecessary. The concept of growing meat (or tissue of any kind) in a petri dish is not bad, but it shouldn't be applied to food because we can easily grow it by natural means. Besides, who would buy lab-grown meat to eat assuming it was competitively priced?

What about genetically modified crops?

What about them? This subject is entirely irrelevant to my original post.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I am probably not going to have the most popular response but though it is a little disturbing to me because its such a foreign concept, under the right conditions and the right testing, it might be something we need to look into. It is simply to early too answer right now.

To me, which is better? Raising massive amounts of animals for slaughter in inhumane conditions/standing in poop/ being force fed/ no room to move or growing meat that doesn't have a brain but may have some unknown long term risks? I would imagine grown meat would much safer in some ways because of the testing and conditions the government would impose on the manufacturing. We already genetically grow plants and I remember people had a big problem with that at first too.

I guess what I am saying is just because its a little weird to us and there is some real and legitimate cause for some concern, until we have researched it extensively, we just don't know.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To me, which is better? Raising massive amounts of animals for slaughter in inhumane conditions/standing in poop/ being force fed/ no room to move or growing meat that doesn't have a brain but may have some unknown long term risks? I would imagine grown meat would much safer in some ways because of the testing and conditions the government would impose on the manufacturing. We already genetically grow plants and I remember people had a big problem with that at first too.

I have no problems with genetically modified food. In fact, I'm all for gene splicing, that's what I do. *I'm not promoting organic food here, people.* The problem I'm trying to point out is that we are growing meat in a lab in an effort to reduce environmental impact when it is much simpler, cheaper, and more effective to cut down on meat consumption in general.

Again, I am not promoting organic food. I am promoting a less meat-oriented diet.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I have no problems with genetically modified food. In fact, I'm all for gene splicing, that's what I do. *I'm not promoting organic food here, people.* The problem I'm trying to point out is that we are growing meat in a lab in an effort to reduce environmental impact when it is much simpler, cheaper, and more effective to cut down on meat consumption in general.

Again, I am not promoting organic food. I am promoting a less meat-oriented diet.

Sadly it is not much simpler to cut down on meat consumption in today's society. We are a meat eating society and no one is ever going to convince everyone to have at least one vegetarian day a week. It just won't happen. How long have people had meat in their diets? It's just not realistic for this to happen no matter how much better off things would be. You can preach until you're blue in the face, but it won't do any good. The best thing you can do is to live by example and offer advice to those around you in a friendly manner. I helped my family cut down on meat. My mom doesn't even eat red meat at all anymore. Helping a few people is better than preaching to a forum and most likely not getting anywhere.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Sadly it is not much simpler to cut down on meat consumption in today's society. We are a meat eating society and no one is ever going to convince everyone to have at least one vegetarian day a week. It just won't happen. How long have people had meat in their diets? It's just not realistic for this to happen no matter how much better off things would be. You can preach until you're blue in the face, but it won't do any good. The best thing you can do is to live by example and offer advice to those around you in a friendly manner. I helped my family cut down on meat. My mom doesn't even eat red meat at all anymore. Helping a few people is better than preaching to a forum and most likely not getting anywhere.

I buy humanely raised beef (grass fed) from my own family. It's dense, lean, protein complete with B vitamins and iron. I'll take it one step further and say I've helped slaughter said beef and have also gutted deer and fish for food in the past.

So, preach all you want, I'll continue to eat meat. I don't think you realize that not all meat eaters are idiots who have no concept of the affects of our current society and food situation OR a lack of basic nutritional knowledge.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There are great alternatives sources of protein to meat. Two of them are hemp seed and algae like spirulina, chlorella, afa, and phytoplankton. These are highly sustainable and foods that improve the environment but I don't see anyone getting excited about them.

It's considered manly to go have a big steak and I doubt that's going to change. It would be great if people would cut down on meat consumption but it's unrealistic. Meat is a staple in a lot of people's diets and it would be tough to persuade them to change.

As for lab-grown meat, if it's possible they are going to try it, and if it's financial viable and legal, they're going to sell it. I personally would never eat it.

I've been trying to go vegetarian but I do eat meat occasionally. I usually spend more for higher quality, humanely raised meat if I do buy it.

I do promote organic, non-gmo foods. I think a lot of the degenerative diseases are from altered food crops. Monsanto may be trying to stop world hunger [more like take over the market in certain commodities (corn,soy,sugar beets)] but they are creating toxins in the food that can damage organs and help destroy people's immune systems. I fear lab-grown meat will have the same consequences.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up that you consider "meat-eater" a negative epithet.

And I don't eat big steaks because I think it's manly. I eat them because I think they're delicious. I have no problem with vegetarians. I myself have dabbled in vegetarianism a time or two but I prefer eating dead flesh.

Algae? Spirulina? Sorry but I can't get excited about cutting into a big thick rare spirulina.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    And I don't eat big steaks because I think it's manly. I eat them because I think they're delicious. I have no problem with vegetarians. I myself have dabbled in vegetarianism a time or two but I prefer eating dead flesh.

Algae? Spirulina? Sorry but I can't get excited about cutting into a big thick rare spirulina.

You basically reemphasized my point. People don't get excited over algae. I never said "people eat steaks because it's manly" I said "It's considered manly to go have a big steak." you failed to comprehend my words.

Meat can be delicious, but the way a lot of large farms manage it makes it really bad for the environment. Farmers lose top soil( where all the minerals are) from livestock, livestock water and fuel consumption is high, Factory farms pollute nearby water supplies, the list goes on.

I'm not saying to eradicate meat. I'm saying that farmers try to control the damage they do to the resources. It's all about mass quantities and money to these large factory farms and it's damaging the environment.

That's why I support organic farms that use environmentally friendly techniques to raise livestock.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well, you got one person that will do what you say, and stay off meat for one day... For me it will be for both practical, environmental, health and religous reasons. Hey! You did inspire some to change!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lab grown meat, that is just disturbing. I agree how about we eat a little less, not like it wouldn't be good for most of us. You don't need an 8oz steak, 6 slices of bacon or triple cheese burger. you can eat it daily if you like but keep it very small. 2 slice bacon, 4oz steak, 1 chicken breast. Personally i'm trying to cut it out all together. It's really expensive and i get plenty of protein with out it. Certain things are harder than others, I love eggs and turkey. They will be last to go.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is not disturbing at all to me. I am optimistic that this can become reality some day.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    For those of you chronic meat-eaters or non-vegetarians, if you prefer a less negative epithet, you are pushing scientists to try to produce meat in petri dishes in an effort to reduce your environmental impact.
    Actually I believe it is not us meat-eaters who are pushing this agenda, but rather the strict herbivores who are prompting scientists to find less distasteful (to vegetarians) ways of presenting a legal and traditional, not to mention nutritious product.
    Actually I believe none of that, but it is every bit as absurd as your statement.

I think I'll go drizzle some carne asada on my popcorn to watch the rest of this show.
    Or maybe I'll grow me some greenbeefios.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    GMO'S are disturbing to me, and I do promote organic grown meat, chicken etc, I also enjoy sprouts raw and cooked of all kinds of grains.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously sick and tired of posters on this site judging others for what they eat.
  • andygettinfitt
    Options
    I'm seriously sick and tired of posters on this site judging others for what they eat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Can I have the meat you don't eat?

Look down your nose at me all you want, I don't care.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

This.