Do you have to have breakfast?

Options
124»

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1525

Medical blog with lots of referrences. Yep, breakfast for most of us is indicated to be at least mildly helpful.
  • dizzycoolbabe
    dizzycoolbabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you break the word up - break fast - that's exactly what youre doing - breaking a fast!

In all likely hood you will not have eaten for about 8 hours and during that time your body will have been replenishing your cells etc as well as still keeping your heart, lungs, brain etc going therefore it is best to have breakfast to replenish those nutrients used up during this busy body time! This will give you a great kick-start!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Medical blog with lots of referrences. Yep, breakfast for most of us is indicated to be at least mildly helpful.

Correlation =/= causation

And breakfast and number of meals consumed daily is personal preference
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a very important start to your day. It provides the energy to get you started are feel good. This is why you hear about the breakfast start for children at school, it provides the energy and brain power they need to keep up with the day. That's my opinion and I'll stick with it since I'm a diabetic.

What a child needs, an adult needs, and an adult with a metabolic issue (diabetes), are all different. Young children have very small stomachs and do eat very frequently, and they are also constantly growing where the only place I am able to grow is out. If I eat breakfast and I am not hungry, I get very ill. That is not a great start to my day. If you don't eat breakfast, you will become ill, therefore, you need it.
  • p2thedoodle
    Options
    I personally found for me that since tracking every bit of food that I have - on the days I eat breakfast (much as I love it!), even if I stay below my 1200 calories, I don't really end up losing weight. However, if I don't eat breakfast, and then eat my calories later in the day, eating right up to my 1200 calories, I lose weight. So I think it's how your body processes things. I refuse to believe that absolutely everyone's body works in exactly the same way, so figure out what works for you and go with it.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nope.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-kind-of-breakfast-is-best-for-weight-loss.aspx

I think there WAS some truth to it when there was no such thing as a desk job (think farmers who ate breakfast before sun-up and worked til sundown).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a very important start to your day. It provides the energy to get you started are feel good. This is why you hear about the breakfast start for children at school, it provides the energy and brain power they need to keep up with the day. That's my opinion and I'll stick with it since I'm a diabetic.
    You being a diabetic doesn't make breakfast an important part of my day. This is the problem with a lot of people on this site, I think. Something works for YOU, may even be necessary for you, and you can't understand that YOU are not EVERYONE.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I know that I need something to eat in the morning to get me going for the day.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts but check out leangains.com. If you are in a fat-burning state your body won't feel the need to graze, you won't have those jittery shakes and dropped sugar panicky feelings. You will fill calm and energized, able to make it many, many hours without eating. Your body needs to be trained to use it's fat for fuel rather that glucose. It won't break down muscle if it is using it's fat for fuel.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Another faithful breakfast eater here! There's a reason why it's called break-fast. Your body has gone for 6-8 hours with no food -- it needs fuel in the morning.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I never breakfast, no need. I don't need it, and in fact feel worse if i have it. It offers no metabolic advantage, and to me is just wasted calories that i could have later in the day when i actually want them.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Another faithful breakfast eater here! There's a reason why it's called break-fast. Your body has gone for 6-8 hours with no food -- it needs fuel in the morning.

Why not just fast a little longer and use those calories later in the day when you're likely to feel hungry? The "fast" part of breakfast doesn't just mean when you wake up.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When my doctor sent me to a dietician to begin my weight loss journey nearly six years ago, she said that eating breakfast was very important. I was one who hadn't done that before -- either entirely skipping breakfast, or grabbing pop-tarts on the way out the door. Since I saw her, I began eating oatmeal for breakfast nearly every day.
    You will get all sorts of answers to this question. For me.....it's yes, try to eat breakfast every day.
    Kaye
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Due to morning time constraints (and the fact that I'm not hungry in the morning) I usually don't eat breakfast until 3-4 hours after I wake up. I've still lost weight though.
  • mreko2005
    Options
    I have medicines that I have to take in the morning on an empty stomach so, even though I usually get up at eight, I don't get to eat anything till about 10:30 - 11:00ish. If breakfast was all that important I'm sure my physician would have recommended something else.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

False, it can take your body anywhere from 12-18hrs to fully digest food you have eaten. You will still have fuel in the morning.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The science is pretty clear that there is no metabolic benefit from eating breakfast.

Having said that, there is also no harm.

So it comes down to behavioral issues. Some people find they need breakfast for any of a list of good reasons, to some it doesn't matter. So do what makes sense and works for *you*.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Correlation =/= causation

And breakfast and number of meals consumed daily is personal preference

Agree. The only reason why I have breakfast is that i always wake up hungry and if I don't have it, I end up making worse choices for following meals and eat wayyyyy too much more than I need.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many different things about breakfast - some people say you have to eat it to start your metabolism and that it a key factor in weight loss then other people use fasting techniques and never eat breakfast?

Could you with some guidance on this and would prefer scientific evidence rather than what has worked for an individual.

Looking forward to your answers folks and thanks in advance!!

Your metabolism does not need starting, it never stops.

Breakfast is important as you are breaking the fast you have been in whilst asleep. Some people are content with just a tea or coffee in the morning, others like a full-blown bacon and eggs job. Some people like to eat breakfast immediately upon waking, others like to wait an hour or more.

Do what you feel comfortable with, just do not ignore yourself if you are ravenous, because it is that which could scupper your eating plans for the day.