Is a HRM Really Worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, very easy to use and accurate. I never workout without it.
    The Polar brand seems to be the most popular. However, I personally have never tried any others.

Edited to add: I've never found a time issue or found it inconvenient with wetting the strap and putting it on. I do it in less than 30 secs.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I got one...mine is a Garmin Forerunner 405CX, which has GPS to help me pace/track my runs, and also uses the Heart rate to calculate calorie burns....and it has totally been worth it. Example: I used my elliptical today for 30 minutes, elliptical said I burned 470 cals, HRM said 170. If I ate back an extra 300 cals that I thought I burned and didn't, I would not be losing weight, and that alone makes it worth it.
  • MJR819
    MJR819 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...at least now I have an idea what would be recommended if I was to go with one. (An idea on where to start at least)
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the polar FT4 is currently going for $65 on Amazon.com
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few and always ended up taking them back because they were just way to complicated and only did the calorie burn while running or walking. I finally got a Polar FT4 and love it. It does have a chest strap, but it is so easy to use and it does one thing. It measures your heart rate and tells your calorie burn. It will calculate your target rates and such, but it takes minuted for initial set up and a push of a button and your ready. I like this one because I can use it for weights, running or anything. Don't have to be moving, just need a heartbeat.

^^^This! I love my Polar FT4. Keeps me honest with my calorie burn.

Another Polar FT 4 user here! Love it!