Runners - Mapping vs GPS

Options
OK so I finally came into the 21st century and added a running / GPS app to my phone. I ran the same loop I've run 100 times and was expecting 1 mileage but received a higher mileage, which one is more correct? Is is the one where I mapped my run on a Google map app or is it the GPS, what does anyone else us e/ go by?

Thanks

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Both are approximations. The GPS in your phone is never exact, and you can run the same loop 1000 times and get a ton of different readings. Depending on the phone/app, the accuracy should be reasonable enough for most people.

How big is the difference, and how long is the loop?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. If you live somewhere with bad GPS reception (I lose it several times among high buildings or in remote woods) the map will be closer. I use MapMyRun to plan routes of a certain length.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Both are approximations. The GPS in your phone is never exact, and you can run the same loop 1000 times and get a ton of different readings. Depending on the phone/app, the accuracy should be reasonable enough for most people.

How big is the difference, and how long is the loop?

Yep. This.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used mapmyrun as the map and jog tracker as the app. I'm starting to lean more towards the GPS because it matches up better with some "actual" distances I've found for the courses I run. Thanks for the input.,
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Those apps still use the GPS in your phone, so they shouldn't be any more or less accurate than anything else that uses the GPS in your phone.

When you talk about mapping your route, are you going to google maps and plotting the route manually?
    Do you have a separate GPS device?
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Map My Run app and based on what I can find out it looks like it uses Google maps. Because I can't get every twist and turn detailed on the map I'm tending to think that the GPS is more accurate. Like everyone has said both are approximations and at least I'm out putting in mileage.

The difference is about .33 miles. I originally though the loop was 1.5 miles and I generally do 3 loops plus a little extra to get to near 5 miles so I guess about .1 miles / loop isn't bad either way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've compared 2 different GPS units, google earth, & runkeeper and they all come out within reason. usually within 0.05 per every mile. Occasionally 0.1 per mile off.