New - Anyone doing 17 day diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No 'diet" is going to work. It has to be a lifestyle change. It will all jump right back on you after 17 days of changing. You go back to your old ways, so does the weight. Just make it a lifestyle change. I still eat bad sometimes. I cut all sugar, white flour etc. I have lost 13 pounds in a little over a month. A guy I work with has lost 80 since Nov. Just change a few things in your life - cut sugars, use fresh veggies/fruit, and no white flour, do whole wheat everything! You WILL get results that stay

The 17 day diet is a lifestyle change. The 4th cycle is all about maintaining your new healthy lifestyle change and includes a lot of what you mention: cut sugar and white flour, eat lean proteins, veggies and fruit, and whole wheat products. It also lets you know you don't have to be perfect and can splurge occasionally.:smile:

I'm on C1D11, have increased my energy and lost 10 pounds. It's a healthy way to eat and the results are great!
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi all....I am just starting both MFP and the 17 day diet. Wondering if there are any others doing this plan who might have thoughts and support. Hardest for me is giving up processed foods (aka SUGAR).

Thanks

It gets easier to give up the processed foods. One of the best ways to succeed in this is to plan ahead - always make sure you have your veggies or fruit or yogurt available - that way when hunger strikes, you have something readily available. Also, try Greek yogurt, if you haven't yet. It's very filling and has a lot of protein. And if you do a google search for 17 day diet recipes, you will come across a lot of information. I've used some from the doctorstv site and an egg site and the recipes have been really tastly. Experiment! Have some fun with the food because if you just stick to just one or two lean proteins, it will get boring really fast!

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    The first time someone told my about the 17 Day Diet, I said the same thing that you did. However, after reading the book, it's not really a diet. It's a four phase plan to restructure how you eat. The first 17 day cycle is meant to be a cleanse to break addiction to processed foods, simple carbohydrates and sugars. With each phase it incorporates more and more of the foods that we should be eating. It's a way of retraining yourself to eat healthy. It's meant to facilitate a permanent change. Now, whether or not people stick to it, is a different story.
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am!
    Just fnished reading the book. I will begin on Wednesday. This fits right in with the way I eat right now, so I feel that it is perfect for me. Can't wait to see how it goes. I am at an awful plateau.

Feel free to add me or we should create a page for 17 day dieters. So it will be easier to support each other. There is also a group on fb, and at the doctors.com there is already a large following, which includes a recipe page.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    What happens after you've completed the whole diet? Does the weight go back on really easily?

Hi,

The idea is that you never go off the "diet", because it's meant to be a complete lifestyle change. The fourth cycle is meant to be never ending. it's a maintenance program. However, if you hit plateaus or gain weight on vacation or over the holidays, you can redo the first cycle to drop some weight. It's really just retraining you on how to eat healthy. It also is about exercising and staying active while eating right. The beginning cycles just help you lose some weight quickly as an incentive to keep going.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did it! It was effin hard! But it sure did work. I think the way he does it is genius because it starts off by really restricting you then slowly introduces the foods back in. I lost 13 pounds on it, and then lost another 7 afterwards by using this. I don't think you could do the two in conjunction though, because the first 17 days is intense and he recommends you eat as much of the foods provided as you can. I wouldn't do that and MFP at the same time.

Now I just eat "clean", I find the 17 day diet totally takes you there. Good luck!
  • Mandired78
    Options
    I am on c1d2! I am dying for carbs or a glass of wine, but I feel great so far!