restaurant nutritional info

Options
Grrrr, I hate when restaurants don't have their nutritional info on their websites. I haven't seen a friend of mine in quite a few months, and we're eating lunch today at a Japanese/sushi place (Stix). I'm not really in the mood for sushi, so I had hoped they would have their nutritional info on their website - not so lucky.

Replies

• hooshtin
    Options
    I suggest to just find something on the menu that is easy to break down. You probably know this already, but avoid things like heavy creams and keywords like rich, home-made. Salads are easy to count. I like getting burgers, because while they are still high calories, I can easily count them and hold on things that drive the calories up (cheese, french fries). I also assume the worst and benefit from that, even if I deprive myself for the rest of the day.

Edit: Also you can find similar items already in the MFP database that may be a good substitute. Anywho, hope this helped.
  • michmill98
    Options
    I understand your frustration. We tend to eat at a lot of mom & pop owned places or local chains so nutritional info isn't easily available. I just find something in MFP similar to what I had. I realize that I may be over/under estimating my calories for that meal but I'd rather eat something that I enjoy than another frozen/deep fried thing from a national chain.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    They're right ^^^ Actually and outside of MFP there is a sushi database available http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/ and they give you a good ballpark of what to expect calorie wise. Expect that a full roll gives 8-10 pieces and work from there. The hardest part is sometimes not knowing how much salt (if you count that). Anyway if you're still worried, a veggie roll is definitely the shortest on calories and easiest to fill up on. Lastly, and not to excuse these restaurants, but some of them can't provide exact nutrition due to portion size variance....or at least that's the best excuse they come up with lol
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I usually find it's safe to DOUBLE your estimates on nutritional info. I'd rather assume that burger and fries is 800-1500 calories, then *hope* its 400-800 and be way off.

Either way, even just once a week, a mistake won't kill your diet/routine.

Just do your best to be informed.

You can still take a food/restaurant type and generalize the info and guess which dishes would be healthiest.