Is it normal to drop a pound per day?

Options
I weighed 181 last Friday and now I weigh 177. I have maintained a daily caloric deficit based on what MFP gives me for a calorie budget. Im happy with the weight loss, just want to make sure its not too fast or unhealthy.

Replies

• rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you just started, it could be water weight that you are losing. If you drink enough water, you are flushing out your system. I know my 1st week on here I lost 4 lbs in the week and then didnt lose anything for alomst another week.
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Is this your first week? I lost around 8lbs on my first week but now I find it hard to lose anymore than 1lb (if I am lucky).
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    A few days isn't the most accurate view on weight loss. Weight can change daily.

At your size a lb of weight loss a day is not healthy.... however I don't think the change is anything but a normal fluctuation.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i think its fine i hear that when its more than 10lbs in one week that gets to be on the unhealthy side ? i could be wrong......but look at the biggest looser they are all loosing anywhere from 3 to 10+lbs a week.....and they have trainers and nutritionists and drs LOL so it can't be that bad right??
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Also, it is really hard not to, but try not an "stalk" your scale. Once a week because as everyone above has said, in a week there can be a lot of fluctuation.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Influx's in sodium / carbohydrate intake all effect water retention.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When you first start getting in shape, it's not. Your body usually loses excess water weight first, so that's probably where the initial weight loss is stemming from. Once you've been exercising/"dieting" (gosh, I hate that word) a while, it should slow down to a healthier amount (somewhere between .5 and 2lbs per week). If not, see a doctor. Now... that being said... I am SO JEALOUS! :laugh: Keep up the awesome work!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Starting weight loss is always high, water based. I was shocked b 13# my first week, now it is 1#+/-.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have actually been working out seriously since about June or so of last year. But I have been on the scale daily over this weekend so its probably just a fluctuation.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i think its fine i hear that when its more than 10lbs in one week that gets to be on the unhealthy side ? i could be wrong......but look at the biggest looser they are all loosing anywhere from 3 to 10+lbs a week.....and they have trainers and nutritionists and drs LOL so it can't be that bad right??

This is not real world weight loss. We have only ourselves to be accountable to, most of us aren't seeing a doctor weekly or have paramedics on site. slower weight loss also increases the ability for the skin to rebound.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Totes normal. When you start losing weight, a bunch can come off really quickly, then it starts to level off.