30 Day Shred-Suicide Mission?

Options
I know this topic has been talked to death now but I'm still thinking it over!
I am VERY unfit- I'm a smoker and I'm overweight and lazy. I want something effective to kick start my enthusiasm for losing weight as the journey looks to long for me to even see the end right now!

I was just wondering, has anyone on here who is also REALLY unfit tried it? If so, how did they get on?

I can just see myself as a wheezing, crippled mess within 10 minutes...

Or should I just be sensible and stick with Davina for a little longer?

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Well, now.. I can't relate totally as have been riding since having my baby before 30 DS. However, i will say, this is a DVD at home, no one will see you.. no one would know if you didn't do half of the moves or could only manage 1 or two of something.
    What will happen is you'll get FITTER doing it.. even partly doing it it's better to get fitter than to stay the same and never know.

I couldn't do a standard push up at level 1. 14 days in, i managed 2 'half' full push ups, They are full as I was in the right position on my feet, but half as I didn't go 'right down' where I should have, but I definately bent my arms lowered myself and got back up again without being on my knee's.. progress like this is what you see and what makes you carry on!

With both level 1 and level 2 it took me about 3 or 4 days to see progress but it has come and I expect the same with level 3.

You can do it! You just have to make the first move (s).

Go on.. give it a go!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i second what was said above!!! i was very unfit, puffed walking up 10 stairs. i saw HUGE difference 5-7 days into it. I did the whole 30 days in dec and i am re doing it again. I am starting level 2 today, and i tell you i still can't do a full set of push ups and i do them the easy way too... it's amazing how i can do all the cardio in the sets now with out stopping...
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i am debating this but petrified to!
    complete shred phobe!
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, now.. I can't relate totally as have been riding since having my baby before 30 DS. However, i will say, this is a DVD at home, no one will see you.. no one would know if you didn't do half of the moves or could only manage 1 or two of something.
    What will happen is you'll get FITTER doing it.. even partly doing it it's better to get fitter than to stay the same and never know.

I couldn't do a standard push up at level 1. 14 days in, i managed 2 'half' full push ups, They are full as I was in the right position on my feet, but half as I didn't go 'right down' where I should have, but I definately bent my arms lowered myself and got back up again without being on my knee's.. progress like this is what you see and what makes you carry on!

With both level 1 and level 2 it took me about 3 or 4 days to see progress but it has come and I expect the same with level 3.

You can do it! You just have to make the first move (s).

Go on.. give it a go!

Thanks! This is really helpful. You're right, no one will know if I'm doing it properly. But if I'm not doing it properly surely I'd benefit more from doing something less intense but for a longer period?
    Maybe some yoga to get some muscle strengh before I annihilate them...
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    well my biggest fear is that I'm going to completely seize up! Or break something!
    Then it will just be a big fat waste of money!

I need a trial run!!
  • wrs0805
    wrs0805 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought 30 DS on ebay for around $7.00.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You'll never know unless you try:) I went w/ baby steps. Short walks that turned to long walks. Walks that turned to hiking, then climbing hills, dunes, etc. I can now run a 5k without stopping. Important thing, get MOVING!!!! Oh and as an ex smoker myself, kick that habit!!! The smoking will make it harder on your lungs, but it will get easier after you quit!!!!! Best of luck to you on your journey:)
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian's Beginner series first...Frontside and Backside. I did those for a month before I did Shred. I really needed to start at something super easy since I had not worked out for over 20 years.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, just do your best, & modify the workout when you need to. (even when Jillian says not to modify)
    :smile: Push yourself, but not to the point of injury. Good Luck.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've out of shape & also smoke, but I can manage to do the 30DS. Give it a try!
  • ZoeBug
    ZoeBug Posts: 15
    Options
    I got it at Walmart for about 7$ too. :) No waiting for it to come in the mail! I am starting next week!! I am just as nervous, but really excited to see the results at the end! Good Luck!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was completely out of shape when I started 30DS. REALLY OUT OF SHAPE. I thought I was going to die the first day....was out of breath by the warm up, etc. My husband found me lying on the floor an hour after the video was over...... I was too tired to get up. BUT I did it the next day, and the next day, and the next. By the end of the 30 days I could do the low impact version of it all, and kinda keep up.
    I added c25K in there, too, and now I'm in shape. I run 3-4 miles a day, 4 or 5 days a week. I do a JM video the other two days a week. I lost 40 lbs and have kept it all off since September-ish.
    If I can do it, you can do it. It isn't a race, just keep on keepin on.
  • aTROOPSTER
    Options
    The good thing about 30DS, as someone else said, is that you can do it at home. Move what you can out of the way so as not to injure yourself, or your furniture. :)

Take it slow if you have to (no shame in that - you are making an effort, after all). Eventually, if you stick to it, you'll be able to push yourself and do things you never thought possible. If you begin by telling yourself you're overweight, you're lazy, you're a smoker... well, then, you've already been defeated.

That said, JM is a *****, and I mean that in the best way possible. She is definitely harsh but motivating. And she's really specific and shows you how to move to minimize any chance of injury.
  • Katie41907
    Options
    Why don't you get it and try it. There is no shame is turning it on doing 5 minutes, taking a 5 minute break, and repeating until you are done. Do what you need to do to get through it. Every time you do it, it's going to get easier in a very hard kind of way. Your form is going to get better and better. If 30 day shred is not for you, try zumba! I have absolutely no coordination and I'm sure that I look like Ace Ventura when I do it, but it's a really good work out.

You need something that is going to get your heart rate up. Push yourself! I know you can do it!
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are both doing this. I have been working out 4-6 days a week for over a year now so I consider myself fit. The first few days I was SORE SORE SORE, but I managed to do it.

My mom has not worked out in about 4 years and would be considered very unfit.
    She has managed to make it to day 6 with some modifications. She took a 1 day break after day 2 and 4. She did not use weights until day 4. She loves it and does not feel like she is going to die. She and I both do some modifications on the push ups, I do chair push ups and she does wall push ups. I think that eventually we will both move to the floor but this will prepare us for that.

My point is, it is difficult for any fitness level but that is the point. Just power through, do what you can and in days you will be more fit than you are now :)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Geez, you're only 24 and you're not very heavy...just buck it up and do it! I'm almost twice your age and when I did 30DS I had about 15# to lose yet, hadn't been exercising regularly, and was still smoking about a pack a day.

See...don't you feel silly now? Just do it!
  • daewynn
    Options
    I"m not normally a poster but I wanted to reply.

I started the shred once when I was working at a desk job. I too am a smoker and about 20 pounds over my goal weight. When I first started Jillian totally kicked my but and I spent most of my work out swearing at the TV but pushed through. I made it to day 10. The cardio really kicked my butt. I have since left that job and have more time for me. I picked up Zumba at the start of January with the hope that doing some cardio first would help prepare me for Jillian. I just started day 1 today of the Shred after a month and a half of Zumba and I made it without feeling like I would have a heart attack. I feel so much better this time and I think I can get through.

You can do it! It is hard but keeping your eye on the goal helps.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can also get it at walmart for under $10 generally. I have Ripped in 30, and my friend has 30DS and we alternate but we are both out of shape. I am considered obese and she is overweight and a smoker. You may hate Jillian the first few days but each day something will get a little easier, you will find yourself making small steps each time you do it! I highly suggest the DVDs because you can do them at home whenever you have a chance. You can do it!!!
  • adamsonam
    Options
    I actually just tried it this morning and didn't even make it thru the first circuit. I was practically hyperventilating (I'm a NON smoker, just fat and outta shape). I have only been walking and then decided to try it, maybe need to start a little lower first
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure and don't want to drop the money to pay for the DVD you can check your local library for a copy. My library has all of the Jillian Michaels DVDs and the check out period is 30 days which is perfect for 30DS!

I think in the end it's all about taking the first step. No matter how unfit you are, you will stay that way unless you start to move. 30 DS is hard but she shows you how to modify the moves to make them easier. Also, it's only 20 minutes. You can do anything for 20 minutes! :flowerforyou: