The Best Whole wheat bread you'll ever put in your mouth.

Options
2»

Replies

• beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very healthy. Do you have a calorie count on it, and how many servings?

It is very healthy. Full of fiber, protein, calcium, No hydrogenated oils. No white flour. The sugar is needed. I like honey or molasses best. The yeast must feed on something to make the bread light. To make it rise. If you must cut back on something add less butter. But don't use the fake stuff.

No arguments that in and of itself this is a healthy bread it's just a little higher on the calories and fats/sat fats than I am going for on a regular basis right now. I'll probably be trying a variation of this sometime soon, I think molasses would work nicely, but I'll cut it down a bit and halve the oils and switch to a veggie oil. But the loaf would probably be for myself only, I can only get my husband down to 50-50 white/white whole wheat.

Just FYI, the sugar speeds yeast growth and possibly rising, and may help facilitate a less-dense bread, but is not /needed/ for yeast growth - when growing a sourdough sponge, when I 'feed' it the only thing I add is flour and water.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I made this bread with honey and approximately 6 cups of whole grain whole wheat flour. I put one loaf in glass pyrex dish and the other in metal bread pan and both loaves turned out great. Very good texture and taste for whole wheat! Thanks for sharing.
  • edwinhigg
    Options
    one quarter pound