this Warrior Dash thing-- am I crazy to consider?

Options
keep seeing posts about the Warrior Dash, so I checked it out. There is one later this year i COULD get to, but am I totally insane for even thinking about it? As I get fitter and feel healthier, I feel like doing stuff and being active, but I'm a 55 yr old woman with about 15 lbs of extra baggage. I wouldn't want to win, but could I even finish?? any WD experiences for me?

Replies

• Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I saw a few posts about the Warrior Dash too, and I kept wondering what it was about. So I Googled it, watched some Youtube videos, and I'm slightly intrigued too! But then I wonder if I could really do it. There is one not too far from me in July, so I'm thinking about it. Would love to hear about everyone's experiences!
  • McKristy
    Options
    Do it.

I did it last year. It was an awesome experience. There will be all fitness levels there.

I won't be doing the Warrior Dash this year but I'm going to do a 10k mud run for MS and another 5k mud run.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Do it!! I want to do it this year too! I have until November to prepare myself, but I sooo want to do it. I have a bunch of friends who do it every year and they say it's a total blast.

My mom also has a group of friends who do it every year (she's in her late 50s) so all ages, all fitness levels :) I want to make sure I'm in pretty good shape and have built up a bit more strength before hand, just so I can be at the same fitness level as my friends who always do it, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to by an Olympic athlete or anything. Looks so fun!!
  • Frogger0828
    Options
    Just be super careful! I did something similar to the Warrior Dash in August. It was a 5K Mud Run with all these obstacles along the way. I slipped in the mud pit, broke my fibula and suffered a high ankle sprain. I had to continue crawling out of the mud before I could get someone to help me. I was in a cast for 10 weeks and had to do 2 months of physical therapy. I trained all summer for it and was ready to go. Going into the mud pit, the woman in front of me just stopped to splash her friends with mud; when I tried to avoid running smack into her, my ankle hit the side of the hole and...SNAP.

It was a very cool event, and there are all levels of fitness there, but that (on top of the obstacles) means you need to be extra careful!

Good luck!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i did the one in Ohio last year with my 14 year son and had an absolute blast!!! it was freaking awesome! yes, as in any sport you have to be careful. they ran 800 ppl in a wave every half hour so, there were 1000's of ppl there to run it. all walks of life, all fitness levels. the obstacles were fun, some harder than others but it was a great experience. it was very muddy so we took our time running. we weren't going to get crazy, we were there to run what we could and have fun. we have signed up for the ohio one in august and will be signing up for the 2 day ohio dash in june too. great ppl, tons of fun! love the music, love the mud! wear clothes you dont plan on wearing again, we threw ours away. same with shoes. we ran in old shoes. we took clean clothes, a lot of towels, some wet, some dry to try to clean off before getting back in the truck on the way home. def take off any jewelery. if long hair, put in a pony.

ppl are wonderful. other competitors would help ppl over some of the obstacles if needed. some were there to win it, some just to have fun. you can actually go around something if you couldnt do it. i found of lot of info on their facebook page. some horror stories of injuries. when you put 6,000-10,000 running a course in one day, you will have injuries but just take your time and enjoy it. you'll have the *kitten* acting stupid or out to run everyone over in their way but we just stayed off to the side most of the race and did our own time. sign up soon if you're going to do it. most of them sell out way before the day
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it in April - by myself. I won't be at the front of the pack, and probably closer to the back, but it's a challenge I know I couldn't have imagined doing a year and a half ago so, even if I don't do well, I am excited to try my best.
  • brasskim
    Options
    I haven't done the Warrior Dash but have done Dirty Girl 5k Mud Run and Tough Mudder (10-11 miles NOT kilometers) and am doing both again this year. The 5k runs seem to be more "fun" but Tough Mudder will test you not only physically but mentally. I was completely out of shape last year doing Tough Mudder but still finished and it was an overwhelmingly awesome feeling.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I am signed up for the Warrior Dash in September...pretty nervous! I haven't been pushing myself with exercise the last month like I was...so this needs to be a reality check to get moving!! lol

Pretty excited, and nervous...and looking forward to being muddy and drinking beer :)
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    I am doing the Warrior Dash in May and a Tough Mudder in October. I signed up so that I have something to help push me to train for something. I wasnt in all that great of shape and now I am close to the best shape of my life. I cant wait to see how well I do and try and improve for when I sign up for it again next year.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    <......That's me after finishing my second Warrior Dash.

I wrote a review for a friends blog, check it out here: http://teamrevolutionx.com/cross-training/so-you-want-to-be-a-warrior-written-by-diana-limon-gonzalez/

It covers my training, the course, and each obstacle. I think that you wil find you can do it and complete it. There were people of all levels of fitness participating.

I highly recommend you do it!

Diana
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing the one in Wisconsin in August. It's only 3.3 miles. We can handle that much.
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm going to do the one in Southern California at the end of March. I'm so excited about it, looks like tons of fun! I'm sure there are people of all fitness levels there - I say go for it, I'm sure you'll be glad you did :)
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This looks like so much fun, and I would love to do it, but I don't get the opportunity to run very much. I work-out early in the morning, and I get my cardio in through the P90X program, but I don't run. The weather in my area is usually terrible, so running outside is kind of out of the question. If I get myself in good physical condition, and continue to do my cardio several days a week, do you think I could participate? I wouldn't be doing it to compete, just for fun. I'm thinking about signing up for the one in the Poconos in June, but I'm nervous if I'm not used to running it will be too hard.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    its really fun! i saw people in there 60s doing it- anyone can. go at your own pace, and dont be afraid to get messy. the hardest part is running with a few lbs of mud on your feet :)