Homemade bread high in calories?

Options

Replies

• RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks SO much for ALL your input everyone!

My bread is WAY more dense than that loaf of Nature's Own and personally ... it tastes SO much better! Haha! I love the idea of cutting it with an electric knife! I am gonna do that to the loaf I have left and see how many slices I get. My slices using my bread knife were uneven and that drives me bonkers! Haha! I will try to half the sugar and use honey. Never thought of that! I know my bread is 181 per slice and that's for 2 loaves or 20 servings. I have 2 tbs of honey in there now, but could see cutting down on the sugar! Now it does go down if I bump it up to 24 slices - to 150 a slice. I can even see that cutting the sugar in 1/2 and using 2 tbs of honey would change it too! Yay!

I guess I will keep baking my bread! It is good and I like how everyone in the house wants to eat it over store bought! I have NO problems working it into my day. Just some extra jumping jacks and jogging in place for a little while will solve that issue! ;o)

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I do feel much better about my homemade bread now!
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    try yummly.com. They have all kinds of recipes and you can search for whole wheat bread with the filter on nutrition under 100 calories a serving. I saw some recipes for around 50 calories a pop

I have never seen that site and now I love that site! Thank you SO much for sharing it!!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    bump b/c I want to try a couple of the recipes from this thread :)
  • KathyMcCueKrafft
    Options
    I use flour, water, yeast, vital wheat gluten,salt and sugar. In order of amounts added, it is similar to a basic french bread. except for the addition of the wheat gluten. this results in higher rising bettershaped loaves. I didn't bake for several years and when I got back to it I noticed a difference in the feel of flour. No matter how long it I knead it. I think they are taking more and more of the gluten out to sell back. I think of they were to test flour from 10 years ago and flour today. The findings would show much less glutenin todays flour. Back in high school I used to bake bread for my boyfriends diabetic mother because her doctor said she could eat my bread.. .one slice a day after figuring the calories in one slice. I never got the results so i have know idea how many calories he figured but aside from ther addtion of gluten my recipe is the same today. there is no eggs or oil in my recipe. so i think there are probably fewer calories than usual.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the ingredients you are using when making the dough. Homemade anything can be high in calories if you make it that way or it can be low in calories. It all depends on ingredients, portions, and recipes.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • no1pinpin
    no1pinpin Posts: 1
    Options
    I bake my own too. II use king Arthur Flour as is Bromine free and sometimes I use coconut flour. I avoid bread but when I bake I ussually eat it. I also use olive oil instead of regular oil and hymalayan salt.
  • nette424
    nette424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    prolly sweeteners instead of sugars... n add other chemicals.... so imo eating homemade would be healthier even though the little bit of extra cals.. just work them into ur day somehow if you like bread...

how do they have coke thats 140cals a can and then coke thats 0cals a can? chemicals...... thats why i still frown apon ppl trying to be "healthy" drinking diet coke as its worse or same than regualr coke...

oh my favorite ppl are (used to work at a pizza joint) that order like
    -medium pizza, extra cheese, 2 cheese base, pepperoni, bacon, bacon crumble, italian sasuage, thick crust, lightly done, olive oil on top,
    -6 creamy garlic dips (for a medium pizza? reaallly?)
    -bag of brownies and 2 cheese cakes
    -6 DIET pop
    lol what do u think ur diet pop gonna do in this situation? keep u from putting on weight hahaha

I love this! I used to work at a fast food place and all the time people were getting large fries, a triple burger, and a DIET Coke!! LOL!!!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    that's why i don't bake homemade bread - it's way too good!

My sister used to bake rolls or bagels instead of bread - and weigh the dough for each (at some point she was eyeballing it but in the beginning she would weigh them) - this way you can make a sandwich on the roll, but you can make the rolls smaller. Or use one slice of bread per sandwich and cut the bread in half.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My simplest bread recipe is flour, water, salt, yeast, honey and a little bit of oil for greasing the rising bowl. It works out to about 200 calories for 100g. I cut my slices around 40 grams which is only 80 calories, even a thick slice is only 100. I agree that homemade bread is much more satisfying than store bought. I have other recipes with seeds and nuts that have more calories and fat and they are so worth it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Love this topic, in for the recipes. You've gotten some great advice here, I hope something works out! We cut our homemade with an electric knife too, and one day I'm going to invest in a slicing guide so I can hopefully get more slices per loaf, but yeah... even with the higher calories it's worth it to me to know and be able to pronounce all the things in my bread!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I baked 2 loaves of whole wheat bread over the weekend. I ran the recipe through the recipe maker thing here and my bread per slice is like 100 calories higher than Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread! WHAT??? How is that? I used King Arthur Light Whole Wheat Flour, 1/4 cup of veg oil and only 1/4 cup of sugar for TWO loaves. Granted, I can only cut about 20 slices total. But it's telling me that one slice of my home made bread - with No butter or preservatives - is twice a store bought bread. I'm trying to save some money here and I really don't like the $4+ per loaf of bread price at the stores. <sigh> I'm also trying to cut down on buying 3 different loaves of bread for the family as currently we all eat sandwiches for lunch and all on different breads!

Any thoughts on this? I really hate seeing that huge calorie difference on my diary. :o(

PS - I'm off to exercise if you don't hear back from me right away! Gotta get in that workout so I can have a piece of bread! LMAO!

I've been making my own bread for years and, yes, it's higher in calories than most commercial breads. Oil and sugar add some cals but the big driver is the calories in bread flour. As I see it, that's the price that we pay for having good bread.

No doubt about it that's a lot of cals for "a piece of bread". I'm OK with that for bread but when I eat pasta, I feel gypped — "That tiny handful of pasta is XXX calories - you're kidding!" so I understand your qualms.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    To compare the calories between store-bought and homemade bread, I'd suggest basing your comparison on weight, not number of slices. Store-bought bread is probably less dense than homemade, so two slices of store-bought might weigh the same as one slice of homemade.
  • I've recently dived into making my own bread and after playing around with measurements I've come up with the perfect loaf for my family :smile: I use Unbleached/unbromated white bread flour and Vital Wheat Gluten w/Vitamin C-not sure if that's typical. This is my base bread recipe for any loaf I make, including Raisin Bread :smile: I'm sure there are more calories in a loaf of fresh baked bread but I'd rather that then all the additives and preservatives, I counted over 15 ingredients to make a loaf of commercial bread, my loaf of home made bread has 8 and it tastes much better! I don't use oil, I use water and real butter.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Google Mark Bittman no-knead bread if you want a recipe that's just flour, water, salt and yeast.
    I bake variations on that and think it's a great recipe.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes!
  • Jenny91638
    Jenny91638 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For whoever said to use splenda in the homemade bread recipe..that will not work. Sugar isn't used to sweeten bread but to activate the yeast so the bread will rise. You can use sugar, corn syrup, honey or molasses but not artificial sweeteners. They don't work. You might use less sugar.. and I've actually made bread and pizza dough without any oil.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have a grinder so I grind all my flour fresh. Tastes so much better and I believe it has more nutrients. One of my favorite breads is a 100% rye bread. Very dense but very filling, too. Rye and sourdough ( mine is both) are better for diabetics or those with impaired glucose metabolism.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't need sugar for the yeast to rise. Sugar does help make a pale loaf more brown. I've made lots of bread with just flour,water,yeast and salt. It rises just fine.
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great ideas and recipes to try, thanks!