Scale addiction.

Options
Hi, my names Holly and I'm a scale addict! I started this journey with MFP July of 2011. When I first started weighing I only weighed myself once every 2 weeks. Well as the weight came off, I started weighing once a week. Well now it's gotten to the point that I weigh myself every day. I know I shouldn't because when I go up in weight I get so angry at myself. I'm considering giving my scale up for lent that's how bad it's gotten lol. My mother has even told me she's going to hide the scale(s) from me because I'm constantly going to her about my weight fluctuation. Does anyone else have the bad habit of weighing way to much?

Replies

• chrikoko12202007
    Options
    girl, yes! i weigh @ least once a day! i think it holds me accountable. i know that most of the weight overnight is water weight but if the scale rises i know i need to watch my sodium more, and drink more water. i dont beat myself up, well @ least not too badly, but rather, i use it as motivation to do better:)
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh myself too much, especially because I've started weight lifting and the weight loss has stopped. In fact, I told myself i wouldn't weigh myself until tomorrow and I STILL got on the scale. It's kind of sick if you can't really handle it. I'm the same as you, where i feel bad if I am up. We just need to remember it doesn't matter in the long run as hard as it is
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I got so bad, I would weigh myself several times a day and get depressed if the numbers went up even though I knew that was illogical. I am someone who gets hung up on numbers, so I have to be careful about obsessing. Now, I weigh myself every two weeks or so, especially because I know my weight fluctuates a lot between womanly cycles.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... which is bad, because I'm so depressed after seeing a bad flux... I like ^^ response^^ to realize it's sodium and water often. Not to beat self up. Good luck. I know I should give up my daily scale usage.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I will admit it- usually 2 times a day! :laugh: I know its bad- but it helps me understand and accept how my body fluctuates. I can't expect to weigh less if I ate and drank food throughout the day (as you should! :) I should just quit, but I think it helps me not gain weight back because I am always aware of my body weight.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I will admit it- usually 2 times a day! :laugh: I know its bad- but it helps me understand and accept how my body fluctuates. I can't expect to weigh less if I ate and drank food throughout the day (as you should! :) I should just quit, but I think it helps me not gain weight back because I am always aware of my body weight.
    This is actually the best practice (once a day) if you can handle it.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    I do this too! I weigh myself every single morning before I do anything - even when I tell myself "Not tomorrow because you know you ate like crap today."

But I try not to get upset if the numbers flux between 1lb from day to day because I know that's normal. It is hard though!
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, I use it to motivate me and hold myself accountable. I love salt, therefore I really have to be cautious that if I have too much salt one day to really limit it the next and drink lots more water. I will only record my weight once a week but I still weigh every day. Just use it as a tool as it is to keep yourself accountable but it is not capable of beating you up if you go up a pound or so, only you can do that, be nice to yourself you deserve it!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also had an unhealthy relationship with the scale, so I went cold turkey.

Come join us here - it's not too late!

'the 30 days with no scale challenge' group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3457-the-30-days-with-no-scale-challenge
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    atleast 5 times a day!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself daily most of the time, but I got an understanding of how much my weight fluctuates, so I didn't get upset if the number went up. You have to have a little faith in the process and understand that if you're eating right, exercising and logging accurately, it WILL work.
  • theresa029
    Options
    Im also addicted to scale.. I weigh my self like a hundred times a day..lol
  • MagnoliaRiver
    Options
    My scale holds me accountable. She's the only one who is always completely honest with me! Every Day! :laugh:
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options

This is actually the best practice (once a day) if you can handle it.

Agree with the Social. It is very good to track versus food intake/exercise/water intake.
    I can see I gain the day after an epic workout as my body takes on water to repair then big dump the next day.
    I can see what foods stay with me for longer and when I haven't taken enough water.

1e2khx.jpg

I couldn't imagine waiting for the 1 day a week/month for a weigh in - could be completely misleading if you trained/ate/drank well the night before then you'd be off for a whole other week.

Look at the left of the chart over Xmas holidays (away from my scale) - no feedback to help me atune my diet/exercise!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. More data is good as far as I'm concerned. As long as you understand there are daily fluctuations, and don't go nuts over everything and stay focused on the long term trend, there's nothing wrong with it. When I have a bad day, it's good to know exactly how bad and how much it set me back and how many days it takes to even that out. That will help me the next time a similar situation comes up, so I can make good choices.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Sometimes there's a little upward flucuation, but I don't beat myself up at all. Even .2 lb overnight loss is a great number and motivates me. I think it's a good practice to get to know my body anyway, since I avoided the scale for years.
  • drema2370
    Options
    I am guilty of sneaking a weigh in every two days. I try to resist the temptation but find it hard. I have two scales in the house. One is way off so I use the old fashioned scale. I will wait to weigh in on my self assigned weigh in day though.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i log weight pre/post workout. everyday. it helps to see the real picture.

i also measure inches on body
  • Christinajoey2000
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, understanding about water, sodium, late eating, etc., and consider the average per week as where I'm at. I used to weigh myself once a week, but there is nothing worse than weighing in on a low weight day one week and a high weight day the following and getting an inaccurate (and disturbing if you know you've been doing well) result. I also think that weighing in daily has allowed me to get to know my body better and be more accountable for my actions.
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weight myself way to often for my liking. I am giving it up for lent :)