Is it overkill?

Options

Replies

• Live4Hurdles
    Options
    If you are doing 90 min a day on the eliptical I find it hard to believe you are burning close to 2000 cal a day. The equivenant of burning 2000 cals is jogging 20 miles. You should feel like you are running a marathon everyday if that was the case! Try jogging for 90 minutes (or even 30 minutes) and see how much more worn out you feel and the machine will say you have burned less calories, which will be discouraging, but also point out the calculations on the eliptical might be a bit off.

Good to see you are keeping track of your heart rate during exercising and concerned about being healthy while losing weight. Keep up the good work! If its working for you and you see results, but you arent starving yourself, then i say keep doing what youre doing. :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    This is eating disorder / exercise bulimia territory.
    This. Please eat. Your body needs fuel to function. If you are burning more fuel than you are putting in, your body is going to get very sick.

You CAN get fit and healthy without resorting to drastic measures (I'm proof of that).

So cut down your cardio, add some strength, and EAT!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    your brain needs 500 cals to function properly, brain damage won't help you lose weight

The brain may need 500 cal to function but I promise you he has more than 500 cals of stored fat and potential muscle at 6'2" and 317 lbs. Please don't use ignorance and scare tactics. You are only disseminating misinformation. He his not going to wind up with brain damage from overtraining!!

Actually... OP, what is most likely to happen is that you will strain the muscles you are working and cause yourself an injury.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    To me the real question here is are you really burning off 2000 calories in a 90 minute elliptical excersice? Im not saying your lying but i think the general consensus for the accuracy of those machines are that they arent very accurate.

That I honestly don't know. I currently use LifeFitness ellipticals and that's the read out I get. But I've tried others and get a different read, only off by 200 or so.

Seems like the overall consensus here is that I'm not eating enough. Hm.. I'm certainly not trying to starve myself so I'll take it easy on the cardio.

Thanks for the advice.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I would cut back the elliptical and start some weight training. I have kept my muscle mass up over the years and it has helped now that I'm finally getting serious. I am 6'1" and started at 371lbs and I think the strength training with cardio is the best way to get lean and sculpt at the same time. I'm not an expert, but that is what's working for me. If you need some support friend me we are close in size. Good luck!

BTW I'm eating 2350 cals and sometimes I eat my cals back and I try not to let my net cals go below 1600 for the day. It's not a fast way to lose weight, but it's been steady and I will preobably end my first year at 75 lbs lost. Not a as big as others, but working for me. I try to keep my carbs under 165grams and my protein over 200grams.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    your brain needs 500 cals to function properly, brain damage won't help you lose weight

The brain may need 500 cal to function but I promise you he has more than 500 cals of stored fat and potential muscle at 6'2" and 317 lbs. Please don't use ignorance and scare tactics. You are only disseminating misinformation. He his not going to wind up with brain damage from overtraining!!

How dare you....that was totally uncalled for soemone else posted this on the site and she is a neuro-psychologist...don't eb rude to me he asked so I shared a fact with him not as a scare tactic but as a helpful MFP member so keep your rudeness to yourself please
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

How dare you....that was totally uncalled for soemone else posted this on the site and she is a neuro-psychologist...don't eb rude to me he asked so I shared a fact with him not as a scare tactic but as a helpful MFP member so keep your rudeness to yourself please

I don't think I was being rude at all. You posted something you saw that someone else posted that claimed to know the science behind it. There is no documented proof that working out leads to brain damage. That is just ignorant!
  • lind3400
    Options

I don't think I was being rude at all. You posted something you saw that someone else posted that claimed to know the science behind it. There is no documented proof that working out leads to brain damage. That is just ignorant!

Unless you have proof too why dont you give your own information and leave mine alone
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Unless you have proof too why dont you give your own information and leave mine alone

Because a statement like that is dangerous. I don't need to prove that overtraining doesn't cause brain damage because it is ludicrous to make that assumption in the first place. You made the claim... now you support it!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    come on. don't hijack the thread.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Starvation causes your brain to shrink and eventually when you blow your nose...it comes out! Gasp.

Nope. I don't have proof, but because it is now in the interweb, it must be true. I live by occam's razor. The person making the extraordinary claim must back it with proof.

To the OP. If you want to keep muscle and burn fat (which is why you are working out I assume), you can't keep that kind of deficit. Once your glycogen stores are depleted, you body looks for energy elsewhere...and that's not good.
  • lind3400
    Options
    Starvation causes your brain to shrink and eventually when you blow your nose...it comes out! Gasp.

Nope. I don't have proof, but because it is now in the interweb, it must be true. I live by occam's razor. The person making the extraordinary claim must back it with proof.

You know what worse case scenario he eats at least 500 cals a day...OMG i destroyed his life...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

No brain damage will occur. Protein from muscles will be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. If our bodies were unable to adapt to things like this, we would have been extinct thousands of years ago.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

You know what worse case scenario he eats at least 500 cals a day...OMG i destroyed his life...
    I get that, but a quick search turned up exactly 0 for starvation...fasting and brain damage. I could tell him his cranium could collapse at that rate, but scare tactics don't work.
  • lind3400
    Options
    OMG why do people constantly attack other ppl and hijack ppls threads ALL the time. leave it be already
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

But now some other new person looking for an excuse not to exercise now has one because they read on the internet that working out too much could cause brain damage.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    OMG why do people constantly attack other ppl and hijack ppls threads ALL the time. leave it be already
    Obviously you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked. I am completely disagreeing with your statement. That does not mean I am attacking you as a person. I haven't even call you a name.

But when you state something I see as false, of course I will reply.

There now. Friends?
  • lind3400
    Options

But now some other new person looking for an excuse not to exercise now has one because they read on the internet that working out too much could cause brain damage.

No what I'm trying to discourage that over exercising and starvation is damaging to all organs in your body including your precious brain....
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good work man. Someone your size can probably do it - because you presumably have lots of fat to lose and therefore vast energy store!

Be careful not to binge and make sure you are calculating your calories correctly both in and out. You may be over estimating your exercise calories (especially on an elliptical).

DO STRENGTH TRAINING - much better at good (fat) weight loss and have those muscles ripping out your BMR.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Obviously you need to familiarize yourself with being disagreed with and being attacked. I am completely disagreeing with your statement. That does not mean I am attacking you as a person. I haven't even call you a name.

yet.

win.