How to log ice hockey time?

Options
I have a question about how much cardio time to log for an ice hockey game. The game is 60 minutes, I'm actually on the ice for 30-40 minutes per game. On the bench just enough time to catch my breath, then out on the ice again. Kind of like interval training. Do I log the full 60 minutes, or just the actual ice time?

Replies

• STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I never know how to log this either.

Usually I only log the approximate amount of time I was on the ice for. I'm probably underestimating what I actually burned, but I figure that I'd rather do that than overestimate.

I hope you get some more answers for this though, because I'm curious too.
  • 28Sharks
    Options
    I log the amount of time of the training session or if it's a game then I put in 60 mins.  I wore a HRM in a training session and again in a game and both times the calories burnt was pretty close to what MFP suggested it might be, in fact MFP was slightly lower than what the HRM said.  Even though you get less ice time in games eg 40 mins out of a 60 min game I personally find that I skate a lot harder than in training and it is more physical along the boards so you are still burning up the calories when you are on the bench.  We typically go with 3 lines so there is just enough time to get your breath back before the next shift.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i do roller hockey/inline and i log only the time i am out on the floor (ours are 2 20 minute periods with a 10 minute warm-up). i wore my heart rate monitor for it and was really happy with the burn. i paused it when i was on the bench. 534 calories for approximately 37 minutes of 'work-out' time.