New mom needs help fitting in fitness

I just had a baby four months ago (our first child) and am realizing just HOW time consuming being a parent is, especially to a new born when both me and her father work full time. That said, I am up at 6:30 a.m. to care for her before work, don't get home from work until about 6 pm and have about three hours to unpack from the day, cook dinner, feed her, bond with her, prep for the next day, do any other household requirements, shower, and relax with my husband before we normally crash around 9:30/10 pm. You get the point, there's just NO "downtime" anymore. My question to all your working parents is - WHEN do you find the time to fit in exercise???!!! Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• I have 2 children, a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I totally understand your struggles!! Both my husband and I work full time. Since my daughter was born and I committed to change my life forever back in August, I simply FIND the time. I get my workouts in early or late in the day. Typically, I'm up at 5:00 to get my workout in. I know it may not seem ideal, but if it's important to you, you simply have to just find a way to get it done.
  • A 5 am wakeup sounds so awful, especially when rest is equally important. LOL But, I see what you are saying - we have to choose to lose some sleep and squeeze in exercise or not exercise at all (which is not an option). I guess I have to bite the bullet and get up earlier, or stay up later. Thanks for the wake up call. :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Yeah. Just have to make time. I get up at 5:30am for work. Some days, I work out when I get home from work at 5pm while my husband watches the kids. Other days, I work out at night after they go to bed. Some nights, as late as 11pm.
  • Yes, it sucks. I won't lie! lol

I usually try and do 2-3 morning workouts and then do the rest in the evening. My husband works out with me sometimes as well. Is your little one sleeping well?? That makes a big difference too.
  • She gets up usually around 3 or 4 am and then at 6 am again and is up till I have to leave for work. It's chaotic. LOL. I think I am just going to have to squeeze in at LEAST 30 minutes in the am or night. So hard. I'm really focusing on watching what I am eating in the meantime. I figured THAT I can easily control.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    I know what you mean!I walk and squat when brushing my teeth,park my car the farthest spot away,stretch during bathroom breaks(plus quick workouts like leg lifts,squats,lunches,twists,jumping jacks,etc).When my son was a baby(and still) workout with them-lifting kids isn/t easy-but it is a great workout and they have fun bonding with you.Making a serious effort for your health is an important decision that's also a good influence for your kids!
  • I had my kids late in life and 18mo. apart. I put off me time and exercise and kept making mom excuses until last year when they were 8 and 9 years old. I weighed 250 lbs, had high blood pressure and was flirting with diabetes. I committed to me so I could be happy and healthy for them! I started walking everymorning (before dawn!) then in the spring of last year I joined a fitness club and go work out every morning from 530 to 615. It sucks some days, but has been so worth it . Am down 50 lbs so far and off blood pressure meds!

Can you do anything on your lunch break?

Hang in there.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    When our kids were very little, I focused on exercising I could do at home. Baby takes a nap, quickly work out for half an hour. Or before they are mobile, they are often entertained if they can see you exercising.
  • I have a 2 1/2 YO and both me and MH work FT. I recently found that I can wake up a little earlier in the AM and squeeze in a video before getting ready for work. Or, once I get home, MH can watch my daughter while I do my video. I also found that I can do some cardio at work during my lunch hour, or skip lunch and workout right before I leave for the day. Some days, I can manage to do a 2-a-day--video in the morning and cardio later in the day.

It's not easy to find the time to do it all, and often, working out takes a backseat when it comes to caring for an infant or young child. Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    I can relate - I'm a single mom to a 3 yr old. I am up at 4am just to get myself and my daughter ready for daycare/work. My evenings are very much a routine, like yours. But that's just it - it's a routine you create and become accustomed to. I can't fathom getting up earlier than 4am, so I take my lunch break at work to exercise. Perhaps you can take some time after you get home to either do a quick 30 minute workout video or go for a walk with her. Let the hubs worry about dinner or pre-plan your meals - let the crockpot do the work or have leftovers. I rely heavily on planning just to afford myself time to exercise and just to hang with my little one.

You'll find the time when you commit to doing it.

And congrats on the new baby!! It's such an exciting adventure!
  • With both kids, that first year was really rough (I still got 3 months to go with #2!). I give you credit for being 4 months post partum and really making your health a priority!
    And those early morning wakeups are a BEAST! Working out at home is just about the only way I seem to find success.
    I also think it's great that you are here asking for advice on how to get it done. I love hearing from people with the same "problems" I have (aka, working mommy etc) There is great advice here!
  • When our kids were very little, I focused on exercising I could do at home. Baby takes a nap, quickly work out for half an hour. Or before they are mobile, they are often entertained if they can see you exercising.
    Even my 3 year old likes to watch me exercise and he will often get in on the workout! :)