HRM concern/question

Options
I bought myself a heart rate monitor so when I do certain workouts I can track calories burnt. I finally got it set up and am wearing it for the first time today.

I get these spouts of nausea and dizziness, and I just happened to have one the first day I wore my HRM. I sat down and my HR climbed over 200 while sitting down. My doctors have tested me for diabetes because of these incidents, but those tests came back fine. Is there anything that can cause these HRM to malfunction? Can a heart problem cause nausea and dizziness? Is this something I should be concerned about?

I do see doctors regularly because I have MS. This is defiantly something I will bring up at my next appointment, but I wanted to get any opinions about these things malfunctioning.

Replies

• SmokinCat
    SmokinCat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also get periods of nausea and dizziness, as well as an occasional black out. I have been given every test know to man by my doctors, EKG, EEG, ECHO, brain and heart MRIs, tilt tables, everything, and they have yet to find out the problem. About three months ago they implanted a heart moniter in my chest that will stay there for three years. I also sometimes will get readings up around 200 for no reason, just sitting at my desk while on the computer. They havent figured anything out yet, so really I guess Im no help for you, lol, but you definately are not alone.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, they can give false readings sometimes for a number of reasons.

* Poor skin contact because the strap is dry.
    * Movement because the strap is loose.
    * Dirty strap. (Needs to be cleaned periodically)
    * Electromagnetic interference.
    * Weak battery.

If it happens again just take your pulse manually to find out if is the heart or the HRM.
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also get periods of nausea and dizziness, as well as an occasional black out. I have been given every test know to man by my doctors, EKG, EEG, ECHO, brain and heart MRIs, tilt tables, everything, and they have yet to find out the problem. About three months ago they implanted a heart moniter in my chest that will stay there for three years. I also sometimes will get readings up around 200 for no reason, just sitting at my desk while on the computer. They havent figured anything out yet, so really I guess Im no help for you, lol, but you definately are not alone.

I wonder if it's some kind of deficiency ...
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a cardiologist, or better yet and electrophysiologist. Years ago, this happened to me several times requiring a trip to the ED for cardioversion (no fun!!) My heart rate would jump into the 220s-250s for no apparent reason and I couldn't get it back down on my own. I would get cold and clammy, feeling like I was going to pass out, I was referred to an electrophysiologist who said I had 2 choices......he could do surgery and zapp the nerves that were misfiring or I could take a simple beta blocker daily to keep my heart rate in check. I chose the daily beta blocker and have had no issues since (although my heart rate is still at the upper limits of normal).

I would definitely try to get it checked out. And get approval from your physician to work out before you go much further.
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been on google ....

It may have something to do with anxiety.
    A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

Palpitations, or accelerated heart rate
    Sweating
    Trembling or shaking
    Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
    Feeling of choking
    Chest pain or discomfort
    Nausea or abdominal distress

Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
    De-realization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
    Fear of losing control or going insane
    Sense of impending death
    Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
    Chills or hot flashes

Note that while the DSM-IV-TR only lists the 13 specific symptoms above, it has been proposed that culture-specific symptoms (e.g., tinnitus, neck soreness, headache, and uncontrollable screaming or crying) be added to the DSM-V diagnostic criteria for a panic attack.