Protein and Sodium

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
I was advised by you guys here at MFP to dump some of my carbs and eat more protein. I think this is a good idea, especially since along with my running and basketball, I am lifting 4 days a week and really trying to push myself.

So, I tried it out about two days at the beginning of last week. I felt AWWWWFUL. I know it takes a while for the body to adjust, and I'm not giving up. I really want to do it because I KNOW it will help with my weightloss.

However, I did notice something else with eating a bunch of protein, lean meats, etc....my sodium level was sky high! Am I eating the wrong sources of protein. I ate lean meats, cheeses, eggs, oatmeal, beans, nuts for the bulk of my protein.

I feel stupid for asking this because I like to research things on my own prior to asking questions - But how do I deal with this? Just not worry about sodium intake for a while? Or are there other foods low in sodium that can be used as a nice source of protein?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 12by311
    Options
    I was advised by you guys here at MFP to dump some of my carbs and eat more protein. I think this is a good idea, especially since along with my running and basketball, I am lifting 4 days a week and really trying to push myself.

So, I tried it out about two days at the beginning of last week. I felt AWWWWFUL. I know it takes a while for the body to adjust, and I'm not giving up. I really want to do it because I KNOW it will help with my weightloss.

However, I did notice something else with eating a bunch of protein, lean meats, etc....my sodium level was sky high! Am I eating the wrong sources of protein. I ate lean meats, cheeses, eggs, oatmeal, beans, nuts for the bulk of my protein.

I feel stupid for asking this because I like to research things on my own prior to asking questions - But how do I deal with this? Just not worry about sodium intake for a while? Or are there other foods low in sodium that can be used as a nice source of protein?

Thanks in advance!
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    When you say you feel awful, how do you mean? Like, emotionally or physically awful? There are studies out there that show that higher levels of protein and lower levels of carbs can lead to a dip in a person's mood. If that is what you are experiencing I hear ya, I tried high protein for a little while there and I felt like crap, I felt depressed all the time, I hated my diet because it was so limited, and I started to resent this whole process for the first time in a whole year. I decided to go back to counting calories and I am much happier. It is true that a diet higher in protein is very efficient in losing weight, but it may not be for you if its rewards are not worth the cost
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    how much water are you drinking? with higher protein you need to consume alot more water especially if you are working out shoot for 3 liters to a gallon a day.

Don't add salt to your meals- because the sodium content is in alot of things.

I myself have just started my training and my meal plan which is 40 carbs/ 40 protein/ 20 goodfats- Its not that bad- Just make sure you aren't adding salt to your foods use other spices and drink your water-

Also when you are doing forms of cardio you don't want your carbs down too low- your ratios are all about balance-

Good luck- Eat some brown rice plain original oatmeal- eat the egg whites not the yolk- cut some of the dairy out (im not allowed any dairy for 4 weeks) the only form of butter I am allowed to use is I can't believe its not butter

I feel fine with my new meal and training plan my gym sessions had to increase as well I am not tired nor hungry at all I eat 6 times a day
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have to eat alot of protein for my health- B12 defienecy. I don't seem to have high soduim- how much of the protein are you eating? I start of my morning with 2 eggs and alternate the next day with a slice of toast with peanut butter or high protein cereal(vector) and then lunch 3-4 oz of meat- use fish/chicken/turkey/ham and red meat For a snack have some dry roasted unsalted nuts in the afternoon- about 15 or so then 3-4 oz of meat for supper. I often have about 500-1000 soduim left for the day. Make sure you drink lots of water all day as well. Hope this helps. Good luck. I don't think anyone needs to diet or limit a certain food group- just watch portion control and you will be fine.
  • 12by311
    Options
    I'm about 10-15 pounds away from my "goal weight".

My ratios were set at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. Maybe I should try the 40/40/20?

I felt awful, as in physically. I literally felt like my body and muscles weighed a ton those two days. So heavy.

Typically, I drink about 196 ounces of water per day...which is almost 4 liters. I've been doing that for about 5 or 6 years now. So that's not really a recent change.

I don't get very much diary. I typically don't drink milk. Maybe with the occasionally bowl of cereal but that's not an every day thing lately. I don't butter things on a normal basis.

I never add salt to meals. When I'm cooking, I go easy with the salt. My hubby always thinks he has to add salt to the things I cook.

With less to lose and knowing that my body is pretty sensitive to carbs, I really feel upping my protein will help cut some pounds. I guess I'll just not worry about sodium for a while and see what happens.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!
    Are your nuts salted or fresh from the shell? Processed Cheese is super high in sodium you will have to read labels carefully and go for the lower sodium ones but dont eat cheese daily..as far as beans I only eat dry ones that I boil and control what goes into them. Good luck!! Im able to keep my sodium at 1500mg....remember you dont need to eat sodium rich foods daily try having days where you only eat fresh stuff
  • 12by311
    Options
    I typically eat whole, raw almonds...unsalted. I usually try to keep the cheese to about 1 oz per day when I do eat it. The beans I usually eat are either boiled or green beans that I've canned myself (from the garden).

I just went back to those couple of days and I did eat some frozen veggies that pushed my sodium up and egg beaters.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    try changing your goals to 40-40-20 or 40-35-25 you can play with your ratios