Diabetic goals?

Options
Hi,

I'm fairly new to this place, and so far it has helped me quite a bit. I'm a 52 yr old male. I over estimated my weight when I first signed up by 4 lbs (input 190, was probably at 186) and my goal is to lose a total of 20 to 25 lbs and get down to 165 to 170. So, not a lot of weight loss needed compared to some folks. My weight is primarily in my stomach...look at me from behind and I don't look overweight.

So although I need to lose that weight, my primary reason for signing up was to maybe help me get my act together on my type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed with it around 3 years ago, and for the most part have been in denial. I'm taking metformin and actos to control it, however, have pretty much continued to eat like I did before I was diagnosed, i.e. too many carbs and sweets. I also never bothered to check my blood sugar even though I have a blood sugar test kit thingy. My eating patterns have been bad too. I was not eating breakfast and skipped lunch a lot, and primarily ate a large dinner, with continual snacking on candy and chips up until I went to sleep. I'm also bad about my medication, sometimes skipping a day here and there. My last A1C test was in August 2011 and it was 8.4. I avoid the doctor :( I'm basically a mess.

I recently made a decision to try and clean up my act. I've started testing my blood every morning, and have attempted to cut down on my carb intake. Over the last week or so, my pre-food blood testing kit has shown my blood sugar to to averaging around 230 which I know is high. I know how to change the goals on the website, but am not sure what to change them to. I ran across a post from someone here where she also had Type 2 and she changed her goals to 45% protein, 25% carbs and 30% fat. Does that sound right? My doctor never really gave me any guidelines...other than lose the extra weight and take my meds. I just started doing shakes for breakfast and lunch to try and balance out my nutritional needs and accelerate the weight loss, but guess I'm looking for some guidance on what some of you have done "goal" wise that has helped you get everything under control. I realize I should be talking to my doctor about this instead of random strangers, but frankly with being so busy at work and trying to raise a family, it's difficult to take the time to go in and see him, and when I do, there is a language barrier (his english is not the best)...plus, I'd like to go in with some improved numbers when I see him to avoid the normal lectures. Any ideas?