no carb vs. low calorie

Options
My doctor advised me to do no carb; however, I am skeptical. Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Your doc said NO carb? Are you sure about that...
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    NO carb? how is that possible? I could understand low carb, but fruits and vegetables have carbs in them so I can't understand how you could completely eliminate them from your diet or why your doctor would suggest you completely cut out healthy fruits and vegetables
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you can't do 'no carb' - there's no such thing. Low-carb, yes you can do...how low would be dependent on what your doctor advises. When I do low-carb (starting again tomorrow) I eat around 20g per day for a couple of weeks then slowly increase - with those mainly coming from vegetables. I've got PCOS so the amount of carbs I eat really does affect my weight loss (or gain as it usually is). Why does your doctor advise low-carb?
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    I'm sure he meant low carb. I think "no" carb is pretty impossible...Bananas have 20+ grams!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    No carb is really unhealthy... I don't know why your doctor would suggest that. You'll drop weight fast, but it won't stay off and you can really damage your heart and blood vessels from all of the fat you'll need to eat for energy.
  • Iris1415
    Iris1415 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think LOW carb is much healthier for a long-period of time. Carbs are bulky and help with digestion. Plus, lacking nutrients, including carbs, can be harmful for your body.

Then again, listening to your doctor is important. If you are not supposed to eat carbs for a really long period of time (longer than, say, 1-2 weeks), then I would not heed what this doctor is saying. You may want to visit someone else.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me to do no carb; however, I am skeptical. Thoughts? Experiences?

NO carb is difficult and gets boring REALLY quick........

I think your Dr probably said LOW carb, not NO carb.

If you think you can live off meat, fat and water for the rest of your life, go for it. (I know someone that has been doing this for several years and she looks great and is very healthy and she strives on eating the same thing over and over).

Otherwise, opt for low carb where you are eating meats, fats, vegetables and fruit.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I tried Atkins once and found it to be like a lot of other fad diets. It worked a little but it was not viable for the long term because it asks for things that are NOT things you would want to do the rest of your life. I am searching for things I can do that help me lose weight now and will give me the tools I need to control my weight once I reach my goal weight. For me, watching the sum total of all calories I eat versus my BMR is the way to go. When you eat protein, 30% of what you eat is used to digest what you ate. In addition you get a lot of nutrition for building lean body mass. When you eat carbs, 11% of the calories you ate are used to digest what your ate. Fat uses only 3%. If you eat carbs, you should avoid the heavily refined carbs like white bread and opt instead for whole wheat. Fo me I look at my BMR and create a 500 cal/day deficit for a 1 pound a week loss. I add to that another 500 cal/day in exercise which I do not eat back. Total then is 2 pounds a week. Increasing my protein helps me build lean body mass and some carbs gives me a quick boost to my fuel supply when I need it. My gold is to watch the calories and be sure what I eat is good fuel. Look at your body as a fine-tuned engine. Do you want to fuel it with last years left-over gas (crud like potato chips) or do you want to put nitro in the tank (lean protein, whole grains, fiber)?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    No carb is really unhealthy... I don't know why your doctor would suggest that. You'll drop weight fast, but it won't stay off and you can really damage your heart and blood vessels from all of the fat you'll need to eat for energy.

Fat does NO damage to the heart or the blood vessels. and NO carb is not unhealthy either. Humans have ZERO need for any carbs.

Fat and protein will provide the body with the necessary nutrients needed to not only survive, but also thrive.

Here is a whole forum of information to read.

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I tried Atkins once and found it to be like a lot of other fad diets. It worked a little but it was not viable for the long term because it asks for things that are NOT things you would want to do the rest of your life. I am searching for things I can do that help me lose weight now and will give me the tools I need to control my weight once I reach my goal weight. For me, watching the sum total of all calories I eat versus my BMR is the way to go. When you eat protein, 30% of what you eat is used to digest what you ate. In addition you get a lot of nutrition for building lean body mass. When you eat carbs, 11% of the calories you ate are used to digest what your ate. Fat uses only 3%. If you eat carbs, you should avoid the heavily refined carbs like white bread and opt instead for whole wheat. Fo me I look at my BMR and create a 500 cal/day deficit for a 1 pound a week loss. I add to that another 500 cal/day in exercise which I do not eat back. Total then is 2 pounds a week. Increasing my protein helps me build lean body mass and some carbs gives me a quick boost to my fuel supply when I need it. My gold is to watch the calories and be sure what I eat is good fuel. Look at your body as a fine-tuned engine. Do you want to fuel it with last years left-over gas (crud like potato chips) or do you want to put nitro in the tank (lean protein, whole grains, fiber)?

Exactly what about the Atkins plan asks for things that you would not do for the rest of your life?

People that actually do Atkins correctly learn how to eat a controlled carb lifestyle in moderation.............
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Firstly, you can't do 'no carb' - there's no such thing. Low-carb, yes you can do...how low would be dependent on what your doctor advises. When I do low-carb (starting again tomorrow) I eat around 20g per day for a couple of weeks then slowly increase - with those mainly coming from vegetables. I've got PCOS so the amount of carbs I eat really does affect my weight loss (or gain as it usually is). Why does your doctor advise low-carb?

There are people that consume 0 carb aka "no carb"............

Check it out!

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/showthread.php?tid=53
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Dude,how does one stay regular without the bulk of fiber? I would imagine you'd be seriously stopped up if you weren't eating at least fruits and vegetables. Not trying to be a smart *kitten* just genuinely curious!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Hasn't anybody heard of the pork rind diet?
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am 100% sure that my doctor said that. Seriously? Why would I lie to strangers online about that? Anyway, yes my doctor absolutely suggested no carb.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Actually, I said "low carb" and my doctor corrected me and said "no carb." She did reccomend portion control and veggies.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Options
    lol I think to most of us the idea of no carbs is horrifying ;) i try to limit my carbs to like 155 g a day and it has been a pain in the *kitten*! Literally almost everything has carbs,even my plain yogurt! :sad:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Actually, I said "low carb" and my doctor corrected me and said "no carb." She did reccomend portion control and veggies.

We weren't saying you were lying.............

I can't actually believe that a Dr says No carbs (then again I do believe it), then says eat veggies.............She doesn't realize that veggies have carbs? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Most Dr's are really smart dummies.
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I think it's time to find a new doctor. :wink:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    your veggies are carbs - your doc's an idiot, she obviously must have meant low-carbs. just cut out the white carbs - bread, rice,pasta etc.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Options
    ok,well if she said to eat veggies then it's not a no carb diet but just extremely low carb ! ;) silly doctors.