Does Volume of Food Matter

Just trying to find out if two items had the same calories but one of them had more volume (or was more g) then does that actually matter?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    It could not have the same calories if it has more grams.
    Get a food scale and you won't have to guess anymore. It is a great tool for weight loss.
  • Sure it matters. The more volume, the more you can eat for the same amount of calories. Think about chocolate versus salad. For both items to have the same calories, you have to eat a whole lot more salad (which equals volume).
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I think what you meant, was the database info????

If you are talking about that, then no.

I think you mean bacause some people enter the nutrition info in grams as one serving, but here in the states we measure oz as a serving. As long as you are having one serving and the nutrion info is for one serving, then it doesn't matter whether it says grams or oz's as long as you are sure you know the difference and the info matches.

Hope that helps.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Just trying to find out if two items had the same calories but one of them had more volume (or was more g) then does that actually matter?

Matter how? Calorie density can definitely make a practical and/or psychological difference if you're having difficulty hitting your net calories for the day, but I'm not sure it really matters from a calories in/calories out standpoint.
  • well, you'll weigh more after eating the heavier item but that's only the weight of the food and not the weight of YOUR BODY. once you poop it's all the same. (sorry to be so graphic but it's true). Calories are what matter in terms of your body mass itself.