How do you cut down on your sodium??

Options
2»

Replies

• kaybelmore
    Options
    I agree with every one who said limit your processed foods. The biggest sodium packer is bread so make sure you're looking at the sodium content in that (it's SCARY).

http://www.chfi.com/2012/02/08/americans-get-too-much-sodium-from-bread/
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I have to say that all of these suggestions are great. It is also making really excited for it to be time to start a garden. I had every intention to have a garden last year, but my father in law broke our tiller so I am guessing that this year I am going to have to sweet talk my dad in to coming and using his tiller. I love fresh out of the garden veggies and I feel like the people who sell at our tiny farmers markets are sometimes a little overpriced whenever I can just grow things myself. I have had horrible luck with gardens the last 2 times I have tried, but I think I can do it. I just have to keep my dogs out of the garden, my lab loves tomatoes.

I am also thinking I may very well like a bread maker. They should be pretty affordable now that they have been on the market for a while now. Maybe I can become an every day suzie homemaker. :laugh: Although I really am not sure when I will be able to fit making all this stuff into my busy schedule.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    2) Hunts No-Salt Added Diced Tomatoes make great homemade salsa when fresh tomatoes are out of season. Mix them with frozen corn that you've roasted, cumin, garlic, a variety of sweet and hot peppers, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, a little olive oil and a quarter teaspoon of sea salt. Makes a great low sodium salsa! A full cup of this salsa has around 100mg of sodium as opposed to the 2000mg in an equal amount of Tostitos Chunky Medium Salsa. I also found out that a serving of Tostitos has 110mg of sodium, which is actually lower than many other kinds of chips.

Salsa is a KILLER when it comes to sodium. I switched from my favorite Old El Paso to an organic version, because it had half the sodium, but even still, it's way too high. There's just no need to put that much salt in anything.

I look for low-sodium versions of everything these days. Read the labels, and choose the one with the least amount of sodium -- even if it means a few extra calories.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to salt and spices (especially garlic). I was wondering if anyone has found some good alternatives in foods or maybe spice alternatives that have lower sodium. It seems rediculous how much sodium is in most food. Just in my 100% tomato juice, 16 oz. there was 1360 in sodium. That is crazy!!

And just in case... I am sorry if this has been posted a million times on here. I know there are always new people who might have good ideas that are not on previous threads.

I use low sodium products...Campbells has a low sodium tomato juice which is awesome. As far as seasonings...two words: Mrs. Dash. There's about a half a dozen flavor options all with no sodium. I love them all!!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful information. I hadn't been tracking my sodium until today. Yikes! Looking at the past week - it is most definitely processed foods that hit you where it hurts.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Francesco Rinaldi Traditional Pasta Sauce, no added salt. Found it in Walmart for 1.50 jar...pretty good-light and fresh tasting
    [/quote]

Thank you for this!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    See which items you're using that have the most sodium & cut them out of your diet. Don't use salt on your foods, like ever - bad bad stuff. If you for some reason must use salt, get low sodium salt. Mrs. Dash is a nice alternative to using spices that generally have a lot of sodium. I'm not sure how you can be making most of your foods & still be getting a bunch of sodium...
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    i agree home cooked meals. Stay away from snack foods.
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For canned veggies, rinse them off to get some of the sodium off.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I use canned foods I use no salt tomato sauce and no salt beans and Mrs. Dash salt free spices.
  • RobynEStout
    Options
    Avoid the 'isles' when shopping- FRESH FOOD is key. Del taco hard tacos 180mg sodium (best I have found). no sodium tomato sauces. Pasta has no sodium. Ezekiel bread has a no sodium bread- bread sucks up sodium fast (in the organic section). Also Amy's has light in sodium frozen frozen meals. Bob's hot cereal is good to add fruit and stuff too and is low sodium. There is also low sodium deli meats just watch the packaging. Also swiss lace cheese is only 35mg/serving.

Also- salt alternatives contain a lot of potassium so watch those levels also as they can be as dangerous as sodium levels. :-)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i never use low sodium salt or products. just use only proper ingredients then you can measure and add your own salt (sea salt not the nasty spherical stuff). don't use anything processed e.g. make your own tomato juice or spaghetti sauce.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing the low sodium thing for a few weeks now but have lost 25 lbs to date (some fat, some water weight). I started using MFP just to track the sodium but am finding with the fresh, healthier sodium free foods I am cutting a ton of calories, too. Here are a few tips I've picked up that I havent seen listed.

The Mrs Dash website has great recipee ideas that are low sodium and not too many ingredients - (I hate long, complicated recipes!) I love the extra spicy blend.

Another great source was at http://www.davita.com/recipes. They are "kidney friendly" so they are low sodium and pretty healthy all around, and again most are not too complicated.

I found a great low sodium mac n cheese recipe at http://www.kidneytimes.com/recipes.php?criteria=Recipes that I adjusted to my liking...I can handle five ingredients!!

At http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/ you can look up any type of food you might buy and find brands with lowest sodium content. It is under the "low sodium foods" tab on the left. I did a lot of research there before my first trip to the grocery store on the low sodium mission.

One 10" flour torilla can have from 350 to 500+ mg of sodium, while a corn torilla the same size can be as low as 30 to 50 mg.

Some things I still need to add salt to taste, but I add very little and I am aware of whats going in my mouth. I'm switching to sea salt my next trip to the store after reading about the health benefits!!

Decide what you want and like to eat, figure out how to make it low sodium, and buy fresh! Read labels...you can do it. :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    forgot these..

Fifty 50 Crunchy Peanut Butter - 0 sodium

Vegenaise (a vegan mayo) - 85 mg sodium for 2 tablespoons